FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create slave image

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando Heise
Create slave image
on Feb 14, 2018 at 2:05:44 am

Hello there. I follow a lot here but first time posting. Couldn't find an answer for what I've been looking for.
So, here is my issue: I have a picture in my comp. I want to duplicate this image layer, but every time I change the master picture I want the slave to do the same - it would work just like a copy of my main picture layer.
I looked for expressions, plugins, but nothing worked yet.
Any clues of a way to do this?
I was able to do this with text (source text), but with images it's different.
Ok, that's it for now. Thanks a lot anyone that could help me.

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
Re: Create slave image
on Feb 14, 2018 at 3:14:40 am

[Fernando Heise] "I have a picture in my comp. I want to duplicate this image layer, but every time I change the master picture I want the slave to do the same"

Using the "Replace Footage" command on the original picture in the project window will change wherever that picture is used. Alternately, you could precompose the picture before duplicating it (essentially nesting it in a subcomp), and then if you change the picture used in the precomposition it will change the image wherever that precomposition is used... Maybe one fo those does what you're looking for.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Create slave image
on Feb 15, 2018 at 4:14:01 am

you could do this with the compound arithmetic effect... but there can be some issues.

if the original size of the image is the same size as your comp, then it's quite easy... add the image to the comp, then create a new solid (comp sized) and add the compound arithmetic effect to the solid. set the 'second source layer' to the image and set the 'source' menu to 'effects & masks'.

now if you add an effect to the image (like curves) and make changes to that effect, the changes will also happen to the copy of the image on the solid.

where it can get a little tricky is when the image is not the same size (and particularly not the same aspect ratio) as the comp. in that case when you create a new solid, you need to make sure you make it the same size as the original image. so if the comp is 1920x1080, but the image is 4000x3000, you need to make the solid 4000x3000. but after that, it should work.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]