FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple character arm rigging

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoltán Riskó
Simple character arm rigging
on Feb 12, 2018 at 10:30:29 pm

Hy I'm working on a simple character arm rigging but I'm in stuck for a while so I would like to ask your help. First of all sorry for my English but I hope you will understand what I'm talking about. ☺

My character's upper arm and forearm has the the same length so I can use simply pythagoras theorem with Tangent theorem.
I have a composition "Left_Arm_Comp". I just use it to change the arm rotations only. Up and Down.
I have an another Composition "009_Left_Arm" which includes the "Left_Arm_Comp". Here I can rotate the whole Arm by an Arm_Controller. Almost all layer is parented to "Angle Line" which specify the arms rotation.

Also I have a Null object "ELbow". And here is my problem. I would like to change the side of the bend with this Null Object. When I move the elbow to left or right I would like to change the bend to the opposite side. Now the arm's rotation is following the elbow's position, but only working in the right side. If I change the side and move the elbow to left it's going wrong because:

a=transform.position[0]+b; (009_Left_Arm/Elbow.position)

When Elbow.transform.position[0] < 0 I need to change it to a=transform.position[0]-b but I don't know how. But maybe the whole rigging idea is wrong and I need to change the structure?

Here you can download the project file, if you have a few free time, please take a look.
Arm Rigging AECS6 - Google Drive
I tried a lot ideas to solve it but without luck. You are my last chance guys ☺

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Simple character arm rigging
on Feb 12, 2018 at 11:57:07 pm

You might want to look into getting DUIK -- it helps a lot with character rigging.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Zoltán Riskó
Re: Simple character arm rigging
on Feb 13, 2018 at 5:37:14 am

I know Duik I used it a lot but with Duik if you want to change the bend side you need to use a checkbox which will mirror the bend. When animating this is not a nice solution. I would like to create a more animator friendly tool with this elbow null object.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]