FORUMS: list search recent posts

CTI Stationary during RAM Preview, has this happened to you?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Augie Lopez
CTI Stationary during RAM Preview, has this happened to you?
on Feb 8, 2018 at 8:16:48 pm

Has this ever happened to you before?

Okay so I'm literally going crazy over this I can't seem to find out what is going on.

So to my knowledge when you RAM preview something in after effects and it's playing through you can see the CTI moving along the timeline....with your animation right???

Well for some reason I don't...my CTI is stationary it wont move at all... I don't know if this is a setting or something you have to put on in AE, I have never experienced this before could somebody please help me out? I have no idea what could be causing this.

I am making a video that requires me to track the audio and video together to sync up the layers and using a RAM preview is the only way I can do this effectively.

Using an all white macbook unibody 2011(Yeah I know it's ancient)

(2.4GHz dual core processor) 8gb of RAM

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: CTI Stationary during RAM Preview, has this happened to you?
on Feb 8, 2018 at 10:51:11 pm

You know, I really haven't paid attention to my timeline cursor when previewing. I'm checking the motion in my animations instead.

If I need to sync to audio, I scrub the audio and use markers where I want things to happen.

It's a lot faster and a whole lot more accurate than guessing the position of the timeline cursor when it previews.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Augie Lopez
on Feb 9, 2018 at 12:02:55 am

Well see that's the thing I need to RAM preview it so I can see the CTI moving along the timeline then I can hit the spacebar ( stopping the CTI where I need it to be based off the audio playback) I've noticed when I hit the space bar the CTI jumps from it's stationary position to wherever in the timeline it should be. That's how I realized it's not moving.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 9, 2018 at 1:58:43 pm

I still think you'd be better of scrubbing. If you have the green line at the top of the timeline you can scrub without AE thinking about rendering the frame.

It also helps to limit the duration of the Work Area when previewing. You can also reduce the resolution of the comp window to half, and the size of the comp window to 50%.

I don't think your problem's about AE doing bad previews but rather bad technique.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Augie Lopez
on Feb 9, 2018 at 9:16:34 pm

Wow. You clearly don't get it, Dave.
I am fully aware that you can reduce the comp resolution and the comp window size, what you are saying is 100% irrelevant and has no significance to the issue I just mentioned... You obviously haven't searched through these forums like I have on this topic. This a repeat question yes, only this time I am trying to actually get the question answered. Nobody has been able to get an adequate response I understand how the software works, I know that you can scrub the timeline over frames are already rendered but I need to hear the audio in my timeline which you cannot hear when you're scrubbing the CTI. The project I am working on has a lot of layers its a lyric video using kinetic typography, which requires this method. Because I have to hear the audio in the comp. "Scrubbing" won't even allow me to achieve what I just explained to you.
Before you want to get on your high horse and start telling people they have bad technique you should learn a thing or two yourself "professor"😂 GTFO

Return to posts index

Jasford Muldoon
on Feb 12, 2018 at 8:32:25 pm

I do the same thing, seeing where the CTI is when trying to sync something up in your video with audio can be made more accurate if you can see where the CTI is during that part of the song, if you can't figure it out go to adobe live support they usually fix most issues like this

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 12, 2018 at 8:18:15 pm

I'm not understanding what you are trying to do. You can preview audio by pressing . on your number pad, then when you press spacebar, it'll stop where it was so you can do what it is you need to do. Alternatively, you can press * on your number pad during playback to drop composition markers (if no layer is selected) or layer markers (if a layer is selected).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]