FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects CC 2018 - Glow Issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Theo Droumpalis
After Effects CC 2018 - Glow Issue
on Feb 8, 2018 at 8:21:01 am

Hello, it's my first post here, there is a problem I have been encountering with the glow effect in AE since the 2017 version, and even though I searched a lot, I could not find anything to help me resolve this problem.

So, whenever I try to apply the glow effect somewhere, using horizontal and vertical or horizontal glow dimensions, all I get is some vertical lines across the object I applied the effect to.

Does anyone have an idea how to resolve this?

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: After Effects CC 2018 - Glow Issue
on Feb 8, 2018 at 3:05:37 pm

I used your same settings with CC 2017 and got the result below... a nice, subtle glow. I'm on Mac whereas your using Windows, so perhaps there's an issue with Windows or with your graphics card.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 8, 2018 at 3:21:33 pm

As Jim suggests, the issue probably lies with your graphics card. Glow is now a GPU-accelerated effect. This seems to work fine over here, so you might consider checking that your GPU drivers are up-to-date.

As a workaround in Ae, you can open Project Settings (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+K), and in the Video Rendering and Effects tab, set "Use" to "Mercury Software Only."

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Theo Droumpalis
on Feb 13, 2018 at 8:06:27 am

What Walter suggested seems to be doing the trick. Which is strange since I was pretty sure I had changed these settings some time ago. I will see into updating the GPU drivers with the first given chance, thank you both!

Return to posts index

Josh Berger
on Apr 13, 2018 at 8:07:01 pm

Hi im new to the site and im having some issues with anything that has to do with glow, glow edges, light rays, etc i get these glitches on single frames in my preview and in final render where it seems like the glow shifts and create these mirrored artifacts . I have tried many things purging the cache and cleaning it,i tried switching to just mercury software, i tried even just rendering png sequences all with no luck. I tried to attach a photo to this post but idk if its gonna work. If it does you will notice a weird colored mirrored artifact that originates from the top box labled compiler data. I am running a custom mac on OSX sierra using AE cc2017. i noticed from previous replies that these are GPU accelerated effects so one question i have that might sound noobish is if i am running a non native mac/AE GPU (evga gtx 960) will this cause these problems? i expect this much but wanna make sure before forking out for a new GPU.
https://images.creativecow.net/327126/screenshot2018-04-13at2.19.49pm.png

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]