FORUMS: list search recent posts

Even gradient on irregular shape

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sohit Kokaria
Even gradient on irregular shape
on Feb 8, 2018 at 7:28:59 am

I am trying to put a linear gradient in a no particular shape; all inside after effects. I have reached a close looking effect but I think the method is dumb.

Following is the shape.

Then I duplicated it ten times and set the opacity of each layer in a progressively decreasing order, vertical scale in increasing order.

Precomposed everything and applied gaussian blur.

Finally, alpha matte this layer on original to correct edges.

I also tried layer styles but I barely could do anything with them. Could this be done in a better way?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Even gradient on irregular shape
on Feb 8, 2018 at 9:31:32 pm

you could try animating the y scale of a single layer to go from 100 to 0, then add the echo effect to an adjustment layer.

got to the last scale keyframe, then in echo, set the decay property to .9 (you can refine that later) and then increase the number of echoes. the echo effect will start blending the animation. fiddling with the echo time, number of frames and decay property will adjust the blending.

since you don't want this to 'animate', when you the this comp into another comp, goto the frame that you like the 'blend' of and choose layer>time>freeze frame to lock it to that frame.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Sohit Kokaria
on Feb 9, 2018 at 4:50:14 am

I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly but only for one frame. The shape is going to animate, it'll morph into another random shape every frame.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Feb 8, 2018 at 11:43:22 pm

Hi Sohit, you should be able to achieve a very similar look by using the 'Bevel and Emboss' in layer styles. Play with the Depth, Size and Softness, then the Angle and Altitude to fix the shading/lighting direction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]