FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting a sequence with layers to Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wilkie Branson
Exporting a sequence with layers to Photoshop
on Feb 7, 2018 at 3:15:32 pm

I've posted this in the adobe forum and found a few very old threads that haven't got the answers here so im re-posting here in the hope someone can help.

sounds like there should be a way of doing this but seems its still not possible.

I need to export alot of frames with the layers intact and layer names to import to Photoshop to run an action on them. Its not practical to do every frame manually using the export single frame as PSD command (i don't believe there is a script which can be used to automate this action). It used to be that you could export a sequence as a layered EXR with the fnord ProEXR plugin which should be able to be used in PS with the AE layers presented, however it seems the option to do this in AE was removed after cc2014? does anyone have any idea of achiving this? many thanks

wilkie

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Exporting a sequence with layers to Photoshop
on Feb 8, 2018 at 7:59:38 pm

What's the Ps Action you need to perform? Maybe there's a good way to do that part directly in After Effects.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Wilkie Branson
on Feb 8, 2018 at 8:07:28 pm

Its an action which converts the background and a painted brush layer into a sketch. the action has about 400 stages so even if AE could achieve the same steps i think it might be pretty difficult to write it and achieve similar results.... unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 8, 2018 at 8:39:48 pm

Understood. Your best bet is probably to install Ae CC 2014 (your Creative Cloud license entitles you to install older versions, too) and use fnord ProEXR to output the sequence. You can save your work in a later version of Ae down to CC 2014 via File > Save as... > Save a copy as CC (13), as long as you're not relying on newer functionality in the project.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Feb 8, 2018 at 9:38:34 pm

I know right..youd think the flow between the two would be a little better. I have only one solution that i have done myself...you can import a sequence into photoshop, but you have to do the effects manually! So i used actions. I set my f6 to record the action of duplicating the images 3 times, doing different effects to each image, and merging them back together into one layer, and export back into a folder. All this was 1 action..so on each image i hit f6 and then went to the next frame.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Feb 9, 2018 at 2:38:57 am

Why does Composition>Save Frame As Photoshop Layers not work?

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE
http://broadcastgems.com/typegems/

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

http://www.broadcastgems.com/mographintensity_shapestext/

Return to posts index

Wilkie Branson
on Feb 9, 2018 at 9:25:12 am

Thanks all, thats a good idea, i'll try rolling back to cc2104 and using EXR's with layers, as far as i can run the work flow through in my head it should work!

using export frame to Photoshop works perfectly.. except for the fact that it requires you to export each frame manually which is obviously not a sensible option when you have 10s of thousands of frames to export. as mentioned above it really frustrating as the functionality ids there just not the automation which you'd expect given the relationship between the two programs.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Feb 9, 2018 at 9:49:46 am

[Wilkie Branson] "using export frame to Photoshop works perfectly.. except for the fact that it requires you to export each frame manually which is obviously not a sensible option when you have 10s of thousands of frames to export"

Now this makes sense. I didn't realize you wanted to export the entire Timeline.

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE
http://broadcastgems.com/typegems/

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

http://www.broadcastgems.com/mographintensity_shapestext/

Return to posts index

Wilkie Branson
on Feb 9, 2018 at 10:07:17 am

hurrah! it works! roll back to cc2104 use ProEXR export with layer module - then into Photoshop with the ProEXR plugin - layers are there with the correct names from AE ready to run the action through a script. ! thank god for that, just saved a year of manually pressing "save frame as" thanks everyone

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]