FORUMS: list search recent posts

3d layer - Casts Shadow for specific object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Board
3d layer - Casts Shadow for specific object
on Feb 6, 2018 at 3:06:51 pm

Hello I have a 3d layer with Casts Shadow Effect this 3d layer interact with some compositions inside the composition where I have 3d layer.
This is the screenshot
As you see there is composition Logo. So that composition has 2 objects logotype and text. What I want is to have a shadow just for Logotype but not for the text. What is the best way to leave object in the composition but hide it from the Casts Shadow Effect in the main composition?..
This is the screen shot of Logo composition which is inside the mail compos...
Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: 3d layer - Casts Shadow for specific object
on Feb 6, 2018 at 6:27:19 pm

Duplicate the composition both in the project panel and in the Current Main composition, leave the text on one and the logo on the other. Turn of cast shadows for the text's one.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Bill Board
on Feb 6, 2018 at 10:45:24 pm

Yes I can do it but inside Logo composition I have animation between logo and text... If I understand you correctly I have to split that animation for 2 different compositions? Or I'm wrong? If I have to split them it's a lot of job... Is it any easier way to do so?..

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Feb 7, 2018 at 11:55:58 am

I doubt it is a lot of work. You're probably just not familiarized with copying with relative properties link (to retain animations and changes) and track mattes(to keep interactions). Because you can easily remove each of them from view without losing anything.

Unless you have some very complex blend mode interaction, its a matter of seconds.

If you want an "easier" way, perhaps unprecompose the logo and text to the main composition, and change the text's cast shadow option. But as I imagine, this will create other issues.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 7, 2018 at 2:02:12 pm

[Bill Board] " What I want is to have a shadow just for Logotype but not for the text. What is the best way to leave object in the composition but hide it from the Casts Shadow Effect in the main composition?.."

A lot of Ae users run into a problem where they try to mix 2D and 3D layers, which interferes with intersections and shadow-casting. If you don't need full 3D intersections (occlusions), we can hijack this idea and use this to our advantage.

Make the text the very first layer, index #1, in the comp. Insert an adjustment layer as the second layer, index #2.

This adjustment layer will break 3D intersections, because it's a 2D composite of all the layers below it. That means that the text layer #1 can be affected by the light, but cannot cast shadows onto the shadow-catcher.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]