FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interpreting footage issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rury Nelson
Interpreting footage issue
on Feb 1, 2018 at 5:14:38 pm

I am currently trying to import some footage which is running at 59.087 fps, which After Effects doesn't like. Thus, I round up to 60fps in interpret footage and happiness is had by all... ish!

For some reason, there is a massive loss in the length of the footage. By which I mean that it's just chopping off the footage after 9ish minutes (out of the hour-long video).

Am I doing something wrong in the "Interpret Footage" option that would chop off like 75% of the footage?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Interpreting footage issue
on Feb 1, 2018 at 6:29:09 pm

No, you probably shot it incorrectly.

The most common mistake is shooting on a cel phone, and most cel phones shoot at variable bit rates. There is NO good application that likes variable frame rate footage.

There are apps for phones that force their cameras into shooting fixed frame rates. You should always use such an app when you shoot.

With the problems you're having, you'll need to re-shoot if you shot on a phone. You can try to transcode the footage using an application like Handbrake (free), but you may be disappointed with the results. You may have to chalk this one up to a Hard Lesson Learned.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved