FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compositing S-log footage round trip back to Premiere: do i lose anything?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rhys Sherring
Compositing S-log footage round trip back to Premiere: do i lose anything?
on Jan 29, 2018 at 9:44:27 am

So I've got an edited short film in Premiere. The footage was shot in s-log2 from an a7s ii.

So far my method has been to dynamic link Premiere sequences whilst in AE, then export the finished file as a TIFF. I'm not 100% savvy on compression techniques, so I go with TIFF as a format i know will retain just about all of the original detail and data (feel free to recommend me any others if I'm missing something). I'm curious though, does that actually defunct the whole s-log2 algorithm?

Once I've done all of the AE work on these clips and have exported them out as TIFF's and put them back into Premiere accordingly, I then take the whole thing into Resolve, via XML, for a colour grade using some s-log2 LUT's to help me out (round tripping back to premiere for sound and credits for final export). Does the fact that I turned them into TIFF's change the s-log algorithm at all? Or am I misunderstanding the concept of how s-log works?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Compositing S-log footage round trip back to Premiere: do i lose anything?
on Jan 30, 2018 at 2:39:53 pm

tiff is just an image format. slog is just a gamma curve. anything lossless compressed should be fine. even 8 bit as your camera is only 8 bit.
the thing is, if you do any de-grain/denoise, you'll need 10 bit to retain the dithering quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]