FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to fix "blocky" blur?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Eggers
How to fix "blocky" blur?
on Jan 28, 2018 at 7:05:28 pm

Hey all,

I am currently working on a project where I am creating a spotlight from a masked white solid. The spotlight is supposed to have a very large falloff, so I applied a Gaussian blur of about 200 to it. However, upon doing so, it ceased to be a smooth blur and is instead a series of several very defined segments going from bright to dark. It gives it a very pixelated and blocky appearance to the edge of the mask that is very undesirable. I looked to see if there was a way to turn up samples (thinking that might be the problem), but I can't find that either. Is there a fix for this? I tried feather and box blur too, and the results were the same. Any help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

John Muehl
Re: How to fix "blocky" blur?
on Jan 28, 2018 at 7:52:07 pm

Are you looking at your preview or an exported file? It could be the Bit channel settings of your project. If your looking at an 8 bits per channel project then you'll see less quality in sacrifice for quicker render speeds. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

John Eggers
on Jan 28, 2018 at 8:09:37 pm

It was at 8-bits, so I just changed it to 32. I looks much better than before (the blockiness is much less pronounced). However, there is still a bit of it there. It there no way to fully get rid of this, or is there one more similar setting that I am unaware of?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 28, 2018 at 9:47:29 pm

What are the dimensions of the comp?

And you really haven't said a whole lot about what you're doing. Knowing this will help.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jan 29, 2018 at 4:45:17 pm

you hit continue rasterization on the white solid?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]