FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speeding Up 4K Workflow in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Arndt
Speeding Up 4K Workflow in After Effects
on Jan 24, 2018 at 4:48:25 pm

I am looking for advice on ways to speed up a 4K workflow in AE. I have been trying to chroma key some 4K 4:2:2 footage, and the RAM preview has been sluggish.
My computer has been plenty fast for 1080p editing. I'd appreciate any tips!

My computers specs are:
CPU-i7-7700k
GPU-GTX ZOTAC 960
Ram-64GB 3200MHz
1x 256GB SSD that AE is installed on.
1x 120GB SSD used only for AE cache.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Speeding Up 4K Workflow in After Effects
on Jan 24, 2018 at 5:12:32 pm

You DO understand that AE is dealing with about 4 times as many pixels per frame, correct?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 24, 2018 at 6:19:05 pm

pnot sure if your media setup might have been different on your macbook.... but having the media itself on a fast drive may help. put your 4k footage on a fast SSD with a fast bus/connection (like PCIe, USB3, Thnderbolt3, etc).

you may want to experiment with codecs too... a codec that compresses less will help reduce CPU load, but increase load on the drive that it is stored on (good for slower CPUs and/or fast SSDs) vs a codec that compresses more will have more load on CPU and less on the drive (good for fast CPUs and/or slow drives). so there's a balance you need to find... though the conformed media cache is supposed to help wth that particular issue, so if that is on your fastest drive, then the may be as good as it is going to get.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Nathan Arndt
on Jan 24, 2018 at 6:48:24 pm

I do keep my footage on the same SSD that I have Windows and AE installed on.
I wonder if that could be slowing things down?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 24, 2018 at 8:47:08 pm

potentially... if your system gets low on ram, it will typically start caching to the main drive (i don't believe that location can be changed in the OS). so, it's possible that the combination of disk caching and reading/writing media could create a bottleneck, though SSDs are pretty darn fast...

plus you likely had a similar set up on your macbook.... so i'm not sure that's the issue, at least not all of it.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Nathan Arndt
on Jan 24, 2018 at 9:52:43 pm

[Kevin Camp] "potentially... if your system gets low on ram, it will typically start caching to the main drive (i don't believe that location can be changed in the OS). so, it's possible that the combination of disk caching and reading/writing media could create a bottleneck, though SSDs are pretty darn fast...

plus you likely had a similar set up on your macbook.... so i'm not sure that's the issue, at least not all of it.
"

Right now I am getting about .5fps when my 4K comp is RAM previewing. The funny thing is that, according to Moo0 system monitor, there is no bottlenecking except occasional by the HHD. Thanks for the help BTW.

Return to posts index

Nathan Arndt
on Jan 24, 2018 at 6:46:03 pm

Yeah I realize that, plus 4:2:2 has double the color resolution of 4:2:0 so that makes the files even bigger. (about 1GB for every 12 seconds of footage.)
I guess I am wonder what upgrades would be best to make 4K editing a little easier and little less time consuming.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]