FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Time Display Style" settings - what do they mean?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria Smith
"Time Display Style" settings - what do they mean?!
on Jan 23, 2018 at 7:29:23 pm

Please note that this is only a theoretical question, I don't have any delivery specifications or anything.

I'm trying to figure out in which cases I need to;
  • change "Footage Start Time" from "Use Media Source" to "00:00:00:00"?
  • change "Default Base" from "30" to "XX"?

I know this is a random question, but I'm trying to learn AE and I've always wondered why these settings exist and in which cases I theoretically need to use them?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: "Time Display Style" settings - what do they mean?!
on Jan 23, 2018 at 7:53:25 pm

If you get footage that has a certain timecode you'll need to get back to the online editor/VFX dude/colorist you should use the timecode found in the media instead of resetting it to zeroes.

Return to posts index

Maria Smith
on Jan 23, 2018 at 9:15:08 pm

Ok! So when working with 25 FPS, I should always change this setting to 25 FPS? I thought I only needed to change the comps frame rate, I didn't know that it was important to change the "Default Base"-project setting!?

Also, doesn't always the timecode in the media start at 00:00:00:00? I've never seen a media file that started playing at 3 seconds...?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 24, 2018 at 5:01:58 am

[Maria Smith] "Also, doesn't always the timecode in the media start at 00:00:00:00?"

That's incorrect. Timecode can be set to anything but usually in (semi)professional cameras it is set to run the actual time of day. So if you get a clip that has a timecode of 04:35:21:14 it has been recorded 4:35 in the morning plus 21 seconds and 14 frames.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]