[CC2018] Change a Projects Playback Speed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arnie Wonners
[CC2018] Change a Projects Playback Speed
on Jan 22, 2018 at 5:32:54 am

Hello!

I have a very basic question:

I have a nice template/project file for Adobe After Effects, but it's playback is too slow for my needs and that's why I am looking for the option to change a complete projects playback speed and reduce it's length, i.e. simply doubling the playback speed but not change anything of the actual contents.

I don't need to be able to edit the result afterwards, so any option that changes the playback speed of the final render output is suffice.

I know about time-stretching and time-remapping and I could also use other software to speed up the video file Adobe After Effects renders, but I assume there is just the right option for this basic procedure somewhere in AE.

Regards!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: [CC2018] Change a Projects Playback Speed
on Jan 22, 2018 at 10:44:05 am

The right option would be to create a composition with your desired duration and FPS output, import your template and time remap it to the duration.

[Arnie Wonners] "I know about time-stretching and time-remapping"

That's what playback speed is, a matter of frames over time. Those are pretty basic functions for it to require another procedure to exist.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Arnie Wonners
on Jan 22, 2018 at 1:58:07 pm

Thank you for your answer!

I assumed there was an option somewhere in the render or composition settings that would allow me to enter the desired duration of the output video without cutting off parts of the composition.

The amount of frames per second will obviously not affect the duration of a second, but if using time remapping on the main composition is the solution for this in After Effects that's fine.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 22, 2018 at 2:52:37 pm

It would be helpful to know 1) your previewing technique in AE, 2) the media container & codec you're using for rendering/export and 3) the application that will use your AE work next.

Typically, you don't mess much with frame rates unless you know what you're doing, and unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Arnie Wonners
on Jan 22, 2018 at 3:19:49 pm

Hello!

1) I don't see what exactly you mean with previewing technique, the previewing technique in AE?
2) MP4 & H.264 Youtube 1080p preset
3) None, convert it to a GIF for Profile Pictures, Avatars, Signatures

I'm not a professional and don't mess with things I can't handle.

I was looking for a simple option, setting or handle to do this, for example a handle in the timeline that allows me to change the duration of a layer, but also stretches or speeds up the contents of the layer accordingly.

I did already render it and increased the playback speed of the resulting output in Adobe Premiere Pro.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jan 22, 2018 at 5:23:58 pm

[Arnie Wonners] "The amount of frames per second will obviously not affect the duration of a second, but if using time remapping on the main composition is the solution for this in After Effects that's fine"

If you have a rendered media, The FPS you'll set will have an effect in the final adjustments you'll make to fit your video to your desired duration. Yes it won't affect the duration, it will though influence the amount of time stretching you'll make. I'm glad you understand that. One can never be sure how dumb others can be in a forum. I was just being thorough, since you were asking a pretty basic question.

And I can still double the playback speed and not change duration at all (by rendering more frames). I was just trying to tackle all variables.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Arnie Wonners
on Jan 22, 2018 at 8:08:21 pm

I was asking because I felt I might have overlooked a tool, option, setting or anything else that automates that progress for you since there is one for changing the FPS and I do understand that it is not in the primary focus of Adobe After Effects.

Thanks for you replies, like mentioned in my previous post meanwhile I have already done it using Adobe Premiere Pro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]