Split Layer every Nth Frame

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex grobkorn
Split Layer every Nth Frame
on Jan 19, 2018 at 3:32:16 pm

Hi @ all,

my first post. Hooooray 😉

As the topic says, im looking for a plugin / script / possibility to split a selected layer every nth frame.
To describe further:

I have a 2min video in one layer and want to split that layer, that every new layer is 20frames for example.

For now, my workflow is following:
goto frame 20 - ctrl-shif + d - select inpoint - move layer to 0:00:00 (so that timemarker rests on frame 20) - repeat from start

is there a shorter way? thanks in advance

[ grobkorn ]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Split Layer every Nth Frame
on Jan 19, 2018 at 5:13:45 pm

It would be very helpful to know why you think doing this is necessary. There may be a better Plan B.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex Grobkorn
on Jan 19, 2018 at 7:29:44 pm

thanks for your reply

It is really simple task

i render long steady shots in blender. export them as a long (2-3 minutes) movie.

after that, i import the png sequence in AFX and want to make some "jump cuts" with them. later, i have one long movie with random jump cuts in them.

ok - i could use Dan Ebberts´ motionscript example - but this has a big disadvantage: i cant CUT in the main movie - otherwise i have stupid cuts in the end movie - i hope you get what im saying.

when i split the layer - i can preview every new scene and maybe delete them -
after that - i can rearrange the layers with only the good shots and tataaaaa - i got video with random position in video with only the best parts of the dolly shot.
the main aim is, that every cut matches the beat while playing live.

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 19, 2018 at 8:46:26 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 19, 2018 at 8:49:17 pm

Oh, that's editing. There's nothing automated about editing. Furthermore, AE sucks at editing. Really blows.

And if you think that beats come regularly in music, you're in for a rude surprise. What's this "live" stuff about? A recording of a live performance? They're the worst if you want regular beats! You should also know there is absolutely NOTHING live about AE.

This isn't something you'll want to automate. I have five whole American dollars that say you wouldn't be satisfied with the result.

Do yourself a favor -- use Premiere Pro for this instead of AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]