FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple Wipe Issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Mars
Simple Wipe Issue
on Jan 18, 2018 at 8:02:18 am

Alright folks, someone please be my captain obvious and help my clueless self out please. This is driving me nuts, because there is no way it should be this complicated.

Im working on an animated logo. The original file was 2d, so I took it into Illustrator and isolated the various parts of my image, then AE, turning the layers from Illustrator into shapes from vector layers. Now I've been able to give them depth and manipulate them to my hearts desire, except for a simple wipe transition.

To make this easiest to explain, lets say I have a 10cm rectangle at the center of the screen, standing vertically. I want two rectangles to appear from within the original and start moving to either side, growing longer from both ends so that when they have ended their left/right motion, they are now 20cm long - 5cm longer on either end. My logo has similar lines, and I have already animated the left right motion. What I'm trying to figure out is essentially how I could animate a crop on just those two layers of the longer rectangle pieces. If I was in my Avid I would just throw a 3d warp on them and go to the crop function, keyframing them from the top and bottom so that they stretched up/down as they moved across the screen (since they are their own layers, it would not affect the overall image). Whats the equivalent in AE? There has to be some super obvious way to achieve this that I am just totally missing.

I hope that makes sense, I'm a bit drained from a full work day then this headache when I got home.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Setup: Macbook Pro Retina (Mid 2012), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M Graphics Card. Dual 4TB mirrored external HDs, Apple Thunderbolt Display, Dell U2713H Display, Yamaha HS5 Studio Monitors through a Scarlett Focusrite 616, Wacom Intuos Tablet and a Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Simple Wipe Issue
on Jan 18, 2018 at 11:47:05 am

[Nick Mars] "What I'm trying to figure out is essentially how I could animate a crop on just those two layers of the longer rectangle pieces."

You could animate a mask on the layer:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/alpha-channels-masks-mattes.htm...

Or you could use the Linear Wipe effect:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/transition-effects.html#linear_...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Nick Mars
on Jan 18, 2018 at 6:02:40 pm
Last Edited By Nick Mars on Jan 19, 2018 at 5:09:41 pm

Walter,

Thanks for the response. While its true I desperately need to take a few weeks and really familiarize myself with the basic Adobe tools, I do always start by doing some extensive googling to find an answer for myself before turning to these forums. That being said, I couldn't find a way to translate either of the links above to solving my issue.

Let me be more specific, I was a bit rushed before my day job has been crazy.

I'm animating a logo. I took the 2D image into Illustrator, image traced it, and broke it into 4 layers I can manipulate later.

I then brought this .AI file into After Effects and dropped them into my composition, promoted them to 3D, then created a shape from vector layer. I have been able to animate all of the motion with no issue. However, I am trying to have two of these layers combine a vertical "wipe" type of animation with their horizontal movement. It seemed to me that it would be easiest to simply mask the layers and keyframe the mask making this move. Here is where the fun begins:

I can not add a mask to these layers. It simply won't let me. When I select the layer in the timeline then go up to the rectangle tool and draw, it adds a "rectangle" onto the layer instead of a mask.

So. I tried making a new shape, adding the masks where I want them, then copy pasting onto the new layer. Besides some weird keyframe jumps that I had to sort out (why AE can't handle copy pasting well with keyframes I will never understand) it seemed to work, but then when I went to set them up I discovered the copied masks no longer had a "Trkmat" dialogue box for me to use (on these shapes from vector layers, which contain the objects I want to 'wipe').

Okay. So then I tried an adjustment layer with the masks on it above both of the layers I want affected. Nada.

Last I tried a full on solid layer, then adding a "Set Matte" to these shape from vector layers and setting it to reference the solid + inverting the alpha channel. And still, no effect.

Am I missing something super obvious? This is driving me up a freaking wall.

On a side note, I've tried using the linear wipe tool as well, but to be honest I can not get that tool to work ever. I must have watched a dozen youtube tutorials, and they all simply change that value from 0-100 and it wipes, and I can never get any change to happen to my layer when trying to use it. So if that's the best solution to my problems here... still help, please haha. Is there some type starting parameter you need to set when using it?

Thanks,
Nick

Return to posts index

Nick Mars
on Jan 23, 2018 at 3:00:52 am

Well if anyone else finds this forum, I was confusing how you control layers and paths. I solved my issue by creating rectangle shapes as new paths within my shape layer, then adding a merge layer and setting it to subtract. 👍

Setup: Macbook Pro Retina (Mid 2012), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M Graphics Card. Dual 4TB mirrored external HDs, Apple Thunderbolt Display, Dell U2713H Display, Yamaha HS5 Studio Monitors through a Scarlett Focusrite 616, Wacom Intuos Tablet and a Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]