FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need To Create Video Mosaic Resulting In Object To Animate

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tye Zaharia
Need To Create Video Mosaic Resulting In Object To Animate
on Jan 7, 2018 at 9:00:26 pm

So I am attempting to use various videos from a company to create a mosaic that is shaped like a joint, or shaped like rolling paper to be animated into a joint, and then burnt down quickly. FYI, the company specializes in rolling papers.

I've found plenty of resources on photo mosaics, but not much on using video instead, and trying to minimize composition bulk.

Are there any good tutorials, plugins, or templates that might be beneficial to this project? Right now, my plan is to use precomposed square shapes that create the resulting object, and then apply videos to each shape in separate compositions.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Need To Create Video Mosaic Resulting In Object To Animate
on Jan 8, 2018 at 2:29:24 pm

I wouldn't use AE for this. It's the wrong tool for the job. You'll have much greater success doing this in a 3D application.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tye Zaharia
on Jan 8, 2018 at 2:48:20 pm

With certain elements I might use Maya, provided I feel it's the direction I want, but the overall outcome seems like it would mostly require Ae to achieve, since the focus blends a combination of motion graphics, rather than 3D specifically.

As I mentioned this applies a similar approach to creating a photo mosaic, but with video, and the resulting object is going to either end up as 2d or 3d element depending on what I think will look better.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 8, 2018 at 5:53:40 pm

you can use ae for the video grid. it sounds like you have a pretty good start on that... creating separate comps that will hold the video and then arranging those in a grid in another comp. you can do that manually, or search the expressions forum for a layer to grid expression. you can likely find a script out there too.

once you have that grid comp worked out, you could render that and take it to a 3d app and use it as a texture for plane or mesh that you will wrap into the joint.

if you just needed a simple cylinder, you can use cc cylinder in ae to wrap that grid comp into a cylinder, but the unwrapped to wrapped transition would be tricky (cc cylinder simple wraps a layer into a cylinder, but doesn't unwrap it...). cc page turn can 'curl' flat layer, and might be of some use, but won't actually wrap a layer into a cylinder. using both might allow you to create several shots that could be edited together to make something believable...

cinema 4d lite ships with ae, and it can probably accomplish this. if you have element 3d, it too can probably do this. if you are familiar with 3d apps and 3d modeling, either might be a better way to go, especially for a final, joint-shaped video mosaic....

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tye Zaharia
on Jan 8, 2018 at 9:07:13 pm

I'll hunt down some expressions or scripts that could help, thanks. I do think the merged cylinder/page turn effect may result in what I want. I'm considering something that either ends up being actual 3D, or possible 2D within a 3D space.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]