FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export Render Pixels Over Highlights

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jean Parisot
Export Render Pixels Over Highlights
on Jan 5, 2018 at 9:37:54 am

Hi everyone,

Beginner here. I'm using footage from iStock that I've purchased in AE, when I export to Media Encoder I am encountering a bizarre green pixelation issue around some of the brighter parts of the footage just inside the window frames (see below). The green pixels run around and flicker as the video plays.

When I import and render from Premier I do not have this issue with the same footage, so the issue is specific to AE as far as I can tell.

My AE render settings are:

Link to stock footage: https://www.istockphoto.com/video/businessman-giving-presentation-using-fli...

Would appreciate any insight from your experience!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Export Render Pixels Over Highlights
on Jan 5, 2018 at 3:34:14 pm

Are you applying any effects to the footage? If yes, what effects?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jean Parisot
on Jan 5, 2018 at 3:59:33 pm

Hi Walter,

I was applying a logo to track along the board room window, but then I opened a new project and just imported and exported the footage only without any effects or anything and the result was the same. Something seems to be happening with exporting this footage.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 5, 2018 at 4:07:55 pm

I'd guess it has to do with the blown whites/clipped highlights. Can you maybe bring the white levels down a bit?

Rather than going straight to .mp4, try exporting to a good intermediate codec like Cineform or DNxHD and see how it looks. If that works, then export that new clip to .mp4 and check results.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jean Parisot
on Jan 6, 2018 at 3:33:32 pm

I'm not convinced its the highlights exactly (even though I hinted at the possibility in my thread subject). If you see the below screenshot, taken from a render using DNxHD the streaks still appear over areas that are not overexposed. I do find it hard to believe that overexposed would create these issues. Again, Premier had no problem rendering/exporting this footage but I need to track a logo on the window in AE.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 5, 2018 at 5:44:59 pm

Wow, that is really horrible-looking stock footage!
Why not just pick a different shot that isn't so overexposed and spare yourself a lot of grief?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jean Parisot
on Jan 6, 2018 at 3:34:29 pm

The footage has already been purchased, and the low-resolution version I used for placement purposes did not give this issue :/

Return to posts index

Jean Parisot
on Jan 6, 2018 at 4:12:34 pm

I got it! ☺

The footage was importing with the fields set to Upper Fields First. Using the Interpret Footage command I set it to Off and that solved the issue.

Hope that this helps someone else in the future!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 8, 2018 at 6:35:05 pm

[Jean Parisot] "The footage was importing with the fields set to Upper Fields First. Using the Interpret Footage command I set it to Off and that solved the issue. Hope that this helps someone else in the future!"

Thanks for sharing, Jean! This is very helpful to know.

It sounds like a bug to me, though -- footage interpretation with fields should not introduce spurious pixels. Could I suggest you file a bug report?
http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]