FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE Composition Preset: File Size/Dimension

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Deem Why
AE Composition Preset: File Size/Dimension
on Jan 4, 2018 at 11:13:27 pm

I am very new to AE. When making a new composition, i don't understand/know what "Preset" (i.e. NTSC DV, HDTV 1080 29.97 & all the other presets etc) I should use when starting.

I am from the print world of design and have regular paper dimensions that we use the most – A5, A4, A3 etc; Is there a standard rule you go by or regular settings most people use in After Effects that's similar to print?

Thanks for any help and advice that can be given.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: AE Composition Preset: File Size/Dimension
on Jan 5, 2018 at 12:50:31 am

it a lot like print... if you add is a full page ad, then you have dimensions and resolution for that specific ad. If you have a billboard, the same applies.

so which preset you choose is based on what you are producing video for. if its for an HDTV, then you'll want to choose one of the HD presets, if it's for DVD, then choose one of the NTSC (or PAL if you are in Europe) presets... need 4K (or ultra hd), well there a preset for that too...

it really comes down to what you need in the end, or what we call the destination.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: AE Composition Preset: File Size/Dimension
on Jan 5, 2018 at 3:38:00 pm

If you are using After Effects to generate art for print, you should be aware that Ae does not think in print dimensions (inches or millimeters). You'll have to set up a comp that matches your print setup.

For example, a 5" by 7" photo at 300dpi would be 1500px by 2100px (5 inches times 300 dots per inch = 1500 dots, and 7 inches times 300 dots per inch equals 2100 dots).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]