FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make smooth camera movements without stops between keyframe?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolas Chausson
How to make smooth camera movements without stops between keyframe?
on Jan 4, 2018 at 5:02:27 pm

Hello,

I look for a tutorial or a way to make a smooth camera movement in AE.

I got a camera that I want it to go from an A point to a B point with a deceleration at the approach of B, but not a stop on it. When the B point is reached, keep traveling slowly for few seconds then reaccelerate to a C point. All of this with no stop from the camera.

I made 4 keyframes, the two first to go from A to B. Traveling slowly to the third one then reaccelerate to the fourth.

But when I ease all those keyframes it makes a stop between each.

Do you know how to make it smooth without any stops?

Sorry for my english, I hope it's understandable.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: How to make smooth camera movements without stops between keyframe?
on Jan 4, 2018 at 5:31:21 pm

I would build a camera rig. Basically, you attach multiple null layers to the camera. You then animate the camera by adding keyframes to the null layer and not the camera. Because of this you can have unlimited nulls and animate each null separately. For example, Null 1 you could animate the position from A to B. Then in Null 2 you can animate the position from B to C. But the keyframes would start before Null 1 stops. Be sure to ease the keyframes in and out and it works like a champ. Here is a tutorial that kind of shows what I'm talking about:

https://library.creativecow.net/article.php?author_folder=devis_andrew&arti...

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: How to make smooth camera movements without stops between keyframe?
on Jan 4, 2018 at 7:39:00 pm

you can also edit the keyframe velocity... right-click the keyframe and choose keyframe velocity. if the key frame was an easy-ease keyfrmare, in the window that opens, you'll see the speed coming in and out of the keyframe is 0 and the influences are 33.333%.

increasing the speed coming in and out of the keyframe will make it so the camera (or any layer) won't come to a complete stop.

increasing the influences will smooth the transition from full speed to slower speed.

to get an idea of how much speed you want to maintain thru the ease keyframe, you might look at the keyframe velocity of one of the other keyframes... say the first key frame has a velocity of 800 px/sec, slowing that to 1/10 would be 80 px/sec....

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]