FORUMS: list search recent posts

How are these detailed strokes done in After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josey Zadoria
How are these detailed strokes done in After Effects?
on Jan 3, 2018 at 5:37:11 pm

Hello Anyone:
I am currently working on a project that requires creating these moving lightning bolts. As you can see from my attachment, there are two that I am wondering about. In particular, if you notice the lines going through the lightning bolts that gives them the appearance that they have a dashed line element to them, also the red square one has the same type of angled lines too, I am wondering how this is achieved in After effects. I thought I could do these using shape layers then add trim paths along with dashed lines, but that doesn't seem to work because I don't know of a way to make the dashes angled. So I am not sure how this is achieved, but I see this detail in a lot in vector animations and I would like to know how it is done. My last resort is creating them in illustrator and then animate them as a path reveal in After Effects. If anybody has a better way in how to achieve this in after effects, I certainly would be interested to know. So thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Best

Josey

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: How are these detailed strokes done in After Effects?
on Jan 3, 2018 at 5:56:34 pm

I know a few new scripts have come out recently that does this sort of thing.

Here's one but there are others:
https://aescripts.com/ouroboros-2/

I just searched on Stroke, but explore.

Return to posts index

Josey Zadoria
on Jan 4, 2018 at 5:39:54 am

So in other words, there is no real answer to this without having to pay for something such as a script?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion i will try to look for more.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 3, 2018 at 7:39:59 pm

the venetian blind effect is goo at making stripes... set the transition completion to around 50% and adjust the angle and width properties as needed.

you can add that effect to either a shape layer or a layer suing the stroke effect.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Josey Zadoria
on Jan 4, 2018 at 5:45:34 am

Thank you! Problem solved. That seemed to work perfect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]