FORUMS: list search recent posts

Precompose Adjustment Layers into one big adjustment layer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Ammons
Precompose Adjustment Layers into one big adjustment layer?
on Jan 2, 2018 at 4:00:26 am

Hi! I am working on a project with a bunch of adjustment layers that use different luma mattes and displacement maps, and was wondering if it is possible to precompose ONLY adjustment layers into one adjustment layer that adds all the effects of its contents. I dont want to precomp the base footage in with it because I still want to adjust that, this is all more of just a cleanliness thing rather than practicality. Is it possible to have a precomp act as an adjustment layer at all?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Precompose Adjustment Layers into one big adjustment layer?
on Jan 2, 2018 at 4:52:41 pm

No. Precomped adjustment layers don't work. They can only affect the layers below them, and if they're in a precomp, there aren't any layers below them.

Besides, I bet you don't even need about 90% of those adjustment layers. You can just apply the effects to the layers themselves. You're thinking like AE is Photoshop... and it's not.

Use adjustment layers ONLY when you want an effect or effects on all the layers below the adjustment layer. Otherwise, just apply the effects directly to the layers.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tyler Ammons
on Jan 3, 2018 at 1:16:24 am

Yeah, I do have a bad habit of just slapping on adjustment layers... but thanks for the reply :)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 2, 2018 at 8:10:42 pm

You could use Shy layers to hide the adjustment layers that you don't want to see in the timeline panel:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/layers.html#show_and_hide_layer...

In some cases, where you have multiple consecutive luma mattes affecting identical duplicates of the adjustment layers, you might be able to precompose the luma mattes together to reduce the number of adjustment layers you need.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]