FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV/D1 Pal 720x576 export (a little explanation needed)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vaggelis Valassopoulos
DV/D1 Pal 720x576 export (a little explanation needed)
on Dec 30, 2017 at 10:05:18 pm

Hi to the forum, and merry Christmas,
This is my third post here and i am so glad that always i got all the info i was looking for.

To just dive right in,
I decided to capture VHS tapes, with virtualdub and after a lot of search i had done a pretty good job with filters codecs and etc.
I only have a question when it comes to premiere trim and export sequence part.
I figured out that i have two option in virtualdub for capture pin resolution.
One is 640x480 or 720x576. I will explain in a little what i mean.
I use TU-R422 BT.601 (i think smrhing like that) loseless codec for compression and i get a 10gb file for a 45' tape.
The only thing i want to figure out is the res and the PAR.
When i select the 640x480 res the video output is 4:3 and recognized as Square pixels by premiere and it doesnt look transformed to me, but with 720x576 I get a little more content and a little more bars (its fine i will crop them afterwards) and the PAR is DV/D1 PAL 1.0940 and when i playbacked its 5:4 and a little stretched and transformed.
The signal is PAL_B and i assume that with 640x480 the virtualdub does a resize by itself.

to sumup i want to record in DV/D1 PAL 1.0940 and right in premiere to trim and export it as X*576 or 640*480 in 1:1 PAR Square pixels!
How can i achieve this ?

Thank you a lot in advance,
Vaggos Val

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: DV/D1 Pal 720x576 export (a little explanation needed)
on Dec 31, 2017 at 1:12:34 am

[Vaggelis Valassopoulos] "When i select the 640x480 res the video output is 4:3 and recognized as Square pixels by premiere and it doesnt look transformed to me, but with 720x576 I get a little more content and a little more bars (its fine i will crop them afterwards) and the PAR is DV/D1 PAL 1.0940 and when i playbacked its 5:4 and a little stretched and transformed.
The signal is PAL_B and i assume that with 640x480 the virtualdub does a resize by itself.

to sumup i want to record in DV/D1 PAL 1.0940 and right in premiere to trim and export it as X*576 or 640*480 in 1:1 PAR Square pixels!
How can i achieve this"

Hey Vaggos,

Wow. You've quite a variety of things going on there alright. I inherited completing a documentary a few years back where I literally had to deal with every format & codec on the planet, several no longer available, so it can get confusing to say the least.

What I'd recommend to do first is to record a short clip as a test subject before dealing with your 45' file. Start Premiere (I'm using CS6 but the basics should still be the same) and create a new project. When it brings up the next requestor to chose a New Sequence, you can actually just cancel. That'll open up the main interface with a blank timeline.

Now, in the Project window, right click and Import your file. Single click select your file and you'll see what Premiere sees as to the dims and aspect ratio for that file. At this point, go ahead and with the clip still selected, right click on it and select New Sequence from Clip (about half way down in that box that opens). That'll put a new sequence in the timeline matching the files specs. Not what you're after yet; it's mostly just for comparison.

Now, create a New Sequence (Ctrl-N) or select from the menu or the little page with a folded corner icon at the bottom of the Project window. You can search around looking at the Preset Description to find something with the 1.0 aspect you're wanting, OR in the tab just to the right of the Presets is the Settings panel. Select an Editing mode (or start with Custom) and enter the values you need. Remember to Save this Preset. It'll end up under a Custom folder in the Presets tab.

Now drag your clip into this new sequence and when it asks, click on the Keep Existing Settings. Drag the timeline indicator & see if that's giving you what you need. You might have to select the clip in the timeline, right click and choose Scale to Frame Size but most likely not since you customized the size to begin with.

I'd probably do a test render of this to confirm it's doing what you want. If so, create a new project using 45' min. file & your new Custom preset.

Hope it works out for you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 31, 2017 at 2:15:33 am

To add to what Mark writes:
Use 720 x 576, the dimensions of the originals.
The field order is lower field first.
The frame rate is 25 fps.

I have never, EVER heard of the codec you are using.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Dec 31, 2017 at 10:24:46 am

SD pal is upper field frst for all codecs, except DV (and on that is an exception too, Avid DV is upper as well)

And I miss cropping in this whole story, as SD is an overscanned format.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]