FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone know what percentage is still using Creative Suite?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noel Powell
Anyone know what percentage is still using Creative Suite?
on Dec 30, 2017 at 1:56:37 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has heard any recent data (or can make an educated guess) on the number of After Effects users who never made the switch to the Creative Cloud subscription model. I still use CS5 to create templates for maximum compatibility. I'm curious to hear what version other template creators use...

Thanks for your help.

After Effects Templates - digital glitch effects, 80s VHS effects, old film effects, art effects, and more: http://CreationEffects.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Anyone know what percentage is still using Creative Suite?
on Dec 30, 2017 at 8:09:41 pm

I have AE CS 5.5 at home on a legacy machine. It works. I'll never upgrade it.

I have AE CC 2017 at work on an up-to-date machine. I had our IT folks install it a week before 2018 came out. It too works -- I don't have to participate in the Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program, which is what you're part of when you stay current.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Dec 31, 2017 at 4:00:20 am

Hey Noel,

I really don't know but I keep encountering more each week actually. Would be an interesting study. Had a message exchange just this week with someone on another forum that is still using CS2 of Photoshop. Even for me that's a bit too retro, but if your trusty hammer isn't broken...

I started with AE back with ver. 7 I think it was, so saw ALL the hits & misses with the various upgrades. It really got infuriating when they'd add something new, only to remove it in the next .5 release. A LOT of user screaming brought back Audition though when they tried to foist some other audio piece of excrement on us that removed most of the tools & features we'd come to depend on.

Sometime back in the early or mid naughts though, I won a full Production Premium Suite of 5.0, upgraded to 5.5 then 6.0. Didn't even have a 64-bit system initially but that gave me incentive.

Then the accounting weasels took over at Adobe.

Of course they claimed the reason for going to subscription was piracy. They couldn't see that their real problem was that they were just too top heavy, most likely upper level management. I once needed to contact someone for a very simple issue and got bounced to eight, count then EIGHT different people before getting someone who knew what to actually do. And then it took only 2-3 minutes to resolve. I'd of course been on the phone over 45 mins, but my time meant nothing.

CS6 is/was very stable for me and I still only use a fraction of what it can do anyway and didn't see any major feature in the CC's that I couldn't live without or work around with a bit of effort & imagination. Then I started to see in the various forums that nothing had really changed. People were still having issues each time a new version came out. Scripts suddenly wouldn't work, crashes, SDK's weren't being released in a timely manner to developers, etc. The plus side is that an end user could at least have a previous version installed at the same time which you really couldn't before. Back then, an upgrade was a one way street unless you wanted to do a full uninstall, install, & re-register. The only difference now really is that users get to pay monthly for the privilege of having Adobe use them as guinea pigs.

But the weasels don't make it easy.

Try to look something up in your PDF docs and the links (if not broken) take you to the CC version instead of an archived site for what you actually have. Really? A company the size of Adobe can't maintain useful information for past users? It was individual freelance users that made Adobe a success in the first place. So as more unknowing new users come down the pike, they're deliberately kept in the dark & think they have no options. With a little effort, one can STILL get CS6, but neophytes certainly wouldn't know that.

I often use AE for a lot of Photoshop type tasks as it has more transfer mode options & other features. For example even now, I don't think the current CC version of Photoshop has yet to add variable mask edges capability. Tried to look that up and couldn't find it mentioned as a feature anyway. Only recently have some features been introduced that would be nice to have, but nothing I can't live without.

If some situation does come along that I absolutely have to use a CC version of any of Adobe's products, I'd just get it for a month or so, and just the app I need not the full suite certainly, then drop it like rabid ferret. I routinely use Photoshop, After Effects, Audion, Illustrator, Encore, and Premiere, but sometimes not for months at a time for any one program. Do the math & see what that would cost monthly! It's just me here, not some huge firm that can write off the cost. I only do this as a sideline plus about to retire from my regular line of work. If I was just starting out, I'd certainly consider Affinity's products and strongly urge them to come out with an After Effects equivalent that can use AE's effects and such. I know there'd be a HUGE market. The weasels need some competition.

OK. Need to go refill my mug now so will someone kindly help me down off this soapbox?

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Dec 31, 2017 at 4:59:15 am

Great comments Mark. I couldn't agree more.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Dec 31, 2017 at 5:06:12 am

Thanks Jim.

Old doesn't have to equate to obsolete.

Return to posts index

Noel Powell
on Dec 31, 2017 at 5:45:39 pm

Thanks for the insights, Mark. As someone who spends hours every day in CS5 for the last 5 years, I agree that it has everything I need. I have the full subscription as well, so I also use the latest version a significant amount, and the features are certainly convenient (some of them I really love), but I can't say I would recommend the upgrade to a light user. I certainly don't find the new versions to be more reliable, I kind of hate the new Preview architecture, and for the life of me, I can't understand why they would remove the multithreading capabilities.

After Effects Templates - digital glitch effects, 80s VHS effects, old film effects, art effects, and more: http://CreationEffects.com

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Dec 31, 2017 at 6:38:01 pm

[Noel Powell] "but I can't say I would recommend the upgrade to a light user. I certainly don't find the new versions to be more reliable, I kind of hate the new Preview architecture, and for the life of me, I can't understand why they would remove the multithreading capabilities."

Must have been some issues I'm guessing. I ended up turning it off in CS6 in fact. Had some problems (don't recall exactly now) and a couple others on the Newtek forum mentioned having the same problem. Oh, I remember. Even with a clean close of project & program, would get multiple messages pop up to close the program. Very annoying.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]