FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blogging_Personal project_ Guidance

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
katy martin
Blogging_Personal project_ Guidance
on Dec 25, 2017 at 4:55:05 pm

Hi.I have been trying to start blogging for almost 3 years now.I realized i'm not good at verbally expressing my thoughts so i want to express them visually.

I study software engineering and currently have a little bit of experience on Photoshop but nothing on animation.

i'm not looking for making an animated video from scratch.What i'm looking for is to gather around pictures and videos that are related to my topic and edit them and add visual effects.
I'm not sure if that's what i'm looking for but i have some examples that can help you understand what i have in mind:

BioShock Infinite: All 26 kinetoscope videos:

BioShock Infinite: All Vigors short animations:

The Meaning of Life - in 60 Seconds:

Where should i get started?
I've heard that After Effects is the one to go to but i just wanna make sure before i put my energy to learn it.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Blogging_Personal project_ Guidance
on Dec 26, 2017 at 7:55:32 am

If you want a really easy start, you can do most of the animation that is shown in these videos the old-school way:

Set up a still camera above a table. Cut out the characters from paper and move them a little bit each frame. Composite the result in a video editing program of your choice.

For video clips, skip the animation part.

For effects, look for effects that are on black background and compose them on top of the footage.

That covers more than 95% of what is going on in these videos without the need to touch After Effects.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

katy martin
Re: Blogging_Personal project_ Guidance
on Dec 26, 2017 at 4:40:39 pm

Thank you so mush for your answer.
That was a really good idea.

But out of curiosity, if i learn the basics of After Effects can i do something not exactly like that but close to it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]