FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you guys animate a "jelly like motion" array of layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toniu Mosat
How do you guys animate a "jelly like motion" array of layers?
on Dec 15, 2017 at 5:38:03 am
Last Edited By Toniu Mosat on Dec 15, 2017 at 5:40:07 am

Hi, thanks for stopping by! Does anybody know how to do something like this:

It's a lame GIF sorry, but you get the idea! This would be the top view, but the camera will be frontal. Every layer will have a different color and different shapes.

Ideally, I'd like to keyframe the "master layer" and the other layers would follow the motion just like a jelly dessert would do on a moving plate. Does somebody know how to go about this?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: How do you guys animate a "jelly like motion" array of layers?
on Dec 15, 2017 at 7:39:21 am

Well, there's:
https://aescripts.com/springy-fx/
or
https://aescripts.com/rubberize-it/

... if you're not all that keen on figuring out your own expressions.

They're similar but have differences. Take a look at the corresponding videos.

Return to posts index

Toniu Mosat
on Dec 16, 2017 at 2:13:39 am

Hi Mark. Thank you so much for the info! The Springy Fx toolset has one thats called Parent Constrain that I think might be just what I need! The example only uses two layers, but I guess it will work if I assigned the second the first, the third to the second, the fourth the third, etc... The other script and tools make for very cool effects but I think they are meant to be used in one single object.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Dec 16, 2017 at 3:07:35 am

[Toniu Mosat] "The Springy Fx toolset has one thats called Parent Constrain that I think might be just what I need! The example only uses two layers, but I guess it will work if I assigned the second the first, the third to the second, the fourth the third, etc... The other script and tools make for very cool effects but I think they are meant to be used in one single object."

In essence yes. With SpringyFX, you can assign what object/layer you want to use as your motion & even change that after the fact. You can also simply copy & paste the effects controls to the other layers too. There are several ways to get the time delay/offset I suppose.

Rubberize it! works by applying it's expressions to Puppet Pins but again with copy & paste (or applying to multiple pins simultaneously with the same settings) then staggering layers, or sliding keyframes, you should pretty easily get what you're after.

Tried to upload a sample for you but the forum is being finicky today. Maybe later.

Rubberize It! was co-written by Dan Ebberts BTW. It does have the option to bake to keys.

Return to posts index

Toniu Mosat
on Dec 16, 2017 at 3:32:55 am

Yaa... yesterday I tried to upload an image in this forum and it didn't work. I tried with different browsers. There must be something wrong with the uploads now.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 15, 2017 at 2:38:33 pm

I would suggest you use some variation on the "follow the leader" expressions from Dan Ebberts on this page: http://motionscript.com/mastering-expressions/follow-the-leader.html

You would add +value to the expression so you could offset it to where you want it in space and then use the delay tricks from that page to make it follow, but just a bit delayed. If you want really springy stuff, there are tons of examples of expressions for overshoot. You'd add that to this delay stuff.

OOOH, or you could offset the layer position using this springy connection expression: http://motionscript.com/design-guide/elastic.html

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Toniu Mosat
on Dec 16, 2017 at 2:58:52 am

Thanks a lot Michael. I think both things should work. I might try the second option first. My clips are short so it should work just fine! This Dan Ebberts guy is just great.

Return to posts index

Toniu Mosat
on Dec 16, 2017 at 3:06:53 am

For future readers of this thread, I post here other solutions I was given:

by Rick Gerard:
T here are two ways to do that without spending some money on scripts or plug-ins. The first is with keyframes and the graph editor. It's tedious and requires a very good understanding of the graph editor. The second is with expressions. Dan Ebberts http://motionscript.com has some links on the first page of his' site that points to an article on Realistic Bounce and Overshoot. I suggest that you take a look there. You'll learn more than you would if I just gave you an expression. When you get something you like save it as an animation preset.
Probably the easiest to use 3rd party solution is my friend Mathias Mole's Squash And Stretch. There is a free version and you can get it now, but the pro version will give you a lot more options.

by Anshul Saini
1. Create any type of shapes in photoshop or after effect
2. If you've created your shape in photoshop than import it in after effect as a "Composition".
3. Create a new Adjustment layer in that composition.
4. The jelly like effect works based on two simple effects - "Fast Blur" (blur in general) and "simple choker" (matte choker).
If you put both these effects on an adjustment layer, it will affect all your layers below it, so you can easily turn multiple
elements "jelly" at no time.
5. Now you have to play with fast blur and simple choker settings under effect controls.
- Adjust the fast blur value to slightly blur the shape.
- Move the choker matte value till the blur isn't visible anymore.
Play around with those settings until you get your desired animation.
6. After doing this u can start animating your shapes or objects with position or scale keyframes.
7. You can still add new effects on the shapes or objects, it won't affect the jelly effect as long as it stays below the adjustment layer.
Hope You get your desired effect.

I have also found this other thread that talks about a similar effect and shows a cool solution as well:
https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=227&postid=7579...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]