FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which New iMac Pro Do I Get?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan McGehee
Which New iMac Pro Do I Get?
on Dec 14, 2017 at 6:01:53 pm

Ok,

I am real excited about the new iMac Pro, but was curious which one I should get

First, I have between 5500-5800 to spend. From what I understand I can get the 8 core 64 GB machine with 8 GB video card

OR

the 8 core 32 GB machine with 16 GB video card.

I use after effects a lot as well as Cinema 4D. Do I go with more RAM or faster video card? I want faster rendering and faster realtime playback. I have never got a clear answer on what affects these 2 processes, I know that both RAM and video card play a role.

**TO PC ONLY ADVOCATES, PLEASE DO NOT CHIME IN! I AM MAC ONLY AND FOREVER!**

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Which New iMac Pro Do I Get?
on Dec 14, 2017 at 6:30:48 pm

since you can't upgrade the video card in the iMac (unless that's changed with the iMac Pro), i'd lean towards the getting the better GPU... you can alway upgrade the RAM later on.

but if you said you'd never want to have to upgrade the RAM, get more RAM... I feel RAM is still more important than GPU acceleration, though Adobe is leveraging the GPU more with just about every update.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 14, 2017 at 6:48:08 pm

There are rumors that the RAM isnt as easy to upgrade.

Return to posts index

Jordan McGehee
on Dec 14, 2017 at 7:19:14 pm

If I understand correctly neither the video card or RAM can be upgraded in the new iMac Pro. Knowing this, would you say get the more RAM?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 14, 2017 at 9:56:23 pm

it appears that the RAM can be upgraded after purchase, but evidently not as easily as the other iMacs:
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/14/imac-pro-ram-upgrade-apple/

Personally, I think i'd lean towards going with more RAM over VRAM unless you do a lot of 3D animation in an application that uses the GPU. But getting more VRAM now could better future-proof you machine... so it's a trade off.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jordan McGehee
on Dec 15, 2017 at 4:21:09 pm

Interesting... So I can upgrade RAM in the future, just not myself. So what should I expect "right now" if I went with the 32GB RAM and 16GB video card vs. the 64GB RAM and 8GB video card?

Return to posts index

Jordan McGehee
on Dec 15, 2017 at 4:24:51 pm

Also, Dave you are right I will certainly make sure it works well by real user confirmation before I purchase. However, if you ever have worked with church's before sometimes budgets must be planned for months in advance before a purchase can even be made.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 15, 2017 at 6:23:45 pm

if you were looking for what to buy for 'right now' i'd go with 64gb ram, 8gb vram. i think that configuration better fits where adobe's software is 'right now'.

if you have 8 or 10 cores, i feel like 32gb of ram is pretty low.... i have a 4-core i7 iMac with 32gb, and i've been requesting 64gb.

maybe a couple years adobe's gpu accelerated rendering will be at a point where having more vram will be a bigger priority.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]