FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
iMac Pro
on Dec 14, 2017 at 3:17:17 pm

The iMac Pro came out today and I would like to get one before the end of the year. I'm not sure what I can afford yet but wanted to verify what would give me the biggest bang for the buck. Keep in mind I spend a little over half my time in AE and the rest of programs like PPro and DaVinci Resolve. Please let me know if I'm on the wrong or right path.

Here are my thoughts. The processor is the best place to upgrade and spend my money. It would be better to get the 18 Core and only 32 GB of RAM instead of getting the 128GB of RAM and the 8-Core?

I only put software on the internal hard drive and have everything else on an external Raid so the 1TB SSD will be enough room.

The problem with the iMac is you can't upgrade anything without voiding the warranty and from the tutorial I watched it looked way too complicated for someone like me.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: iMac Pro
on Dec 14, 2017 at 6:12:59 pm

it's a lot easier to upgrade the ram in an iMac than the cpus.... but i'm not sure how well the adobe products will take advantage of all 18 cores.

impressive benchmarks have already surfaced (geekbench, etc), but you might keep searching to see if you can find any application specific benchmarks for adobe and/or resolve over the next couple weeks.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 14, 2017 at 7:06:17 pm

In general, would you say the cores will give you more speed over RAM? If RAM only getting used when I do a RAM preview?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 14, 2017 at 8:27:00 pm

Ae currently benefits more from faster (but fewer) CPU cores than from more (but slower) CPU cores. I'd probably go for the 8-core with more RAM over 18-core with less for Ae. Premiere and Resolve may be a different story, depending on which formats you tend to use.

Balance is important in a system design; having lots of cores available to you may not speed up your work if your application is starved for RAM.

Maybe the 10-core with 64 GB RAM would be a good compromise between individual core speed, number of cores, and amount of RAM?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 14, 2017 at 9:59:53 pm

Also, I'm not sure how important this is to you, but the RAM is not as easy to upgrade as it was in earlier iMacs:
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/14/imac-pro-ram-upgrade-apple/

It sounds like it can be done, but you'll need to take it to a shop and have a tech install the RAM.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 15, 2017 at 4:57:57 am

You want to bite on brand-new hardware that is not easily changed? Have you not learned anything about Adobe software? Do you WANT to invite problems?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]