FORUMS: list search recent posts

Line/ stroke with different colors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sander van Pelt
Line/ stroke with different colors
on Dec 12, 2017 at 9:53:15 pm

Hello everybody,

I want to make a route profile of a mountain like the stageprofile of the Tour de France. This profile starts at "the bottom" of the mountain and ends on the top.

I've created a shape layer and a path for an animated stroke. This stroke has to start in the color blue, followed bij yellow, red, yellow etc. It depends on the steepness of the mountain.
If I use multiple keyrings, the complete stroke transforms from color to color in 10 seconds. I do not want that.

From the one to the other keyring becomes blue and it stays blue, the next has to stay yellow. The blue part doesn't need to change into yellow or another color.

Maybe it is very simple, but I am a newbie.

Who can help me (in child language) by telling me what I need to do.

Thanks.

I've add a picture of a profile. I only want a top line like this, in the same color as the fill mask below those part of the line. But I want this without the fill.

Sorry, but English is not my main language. I'm from Holland

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
Re: Line/ stroke with different colors
on Dec 13, 2017 at 12:26:32 am

Hi Sander. There are a few ways of doing this but we need further information.
"I've created a shape layer and a path for an animated stroke. "
Is your shape layer only a line that the animated stroke is following (a shape that has no fill), or is it filled in like the example that you gave?
Are you using the Stroke Effect with its path on a separate layer?

Return to posts index

Sander van Pelt
on Dec 13, 2017 at 7:57:30 am

Hello Greg,

Thank you for your response.

I've created a shape layer first. It is also the layer which I use for drawing a path with the Pen tool.
After I've placed a path, the shape layer contents "shape 1" with a path, stroke, fill and transform.
I've deleted the contents Fill from shape 1.

After doing this, I've added the "trim path" effect at this shape layer. By doing this, with the keyrings, the stroke appears at 0 seconds and it disappears after 10 seconds.

It is only one layer which I'm using, i've added no other layers (yet)

In the added file (), you'll see at the top, the stroke I've created. At the bottom you'll see the stroke that I want to create.

The stroke that I want, will also rotate (in the 10 seconds) at the anchor point which I've placed at the beginning of the stroke (the left red part) and it shall change with his opacity from 0 to 100.

Sander

Sorry for my English grammar, but English is not my main language.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Dec 14, 2017 at 12:49:52 am

Hi, that is clearer.
Go to the time when the stroke is completed - just before 10 seconds? - so that you can see it all.
Select the Shape layer - at the top of your screen you will see the word "Stroke" with a color swatch beside it.
Press on the word "Stroke" and a dropdown will appear - select the third box (Linear Gradient) - click OK.
In your layer the heading "Stroke1" will have changed to Gradient Stroke 1 - select it.
A blue shape, something like . _ _ _ _ _. will appear somewhere on your screen (it can be hard to see or find - zoom out if you need to).
Drag the first dot to the beginning of your stroke and then drag the last dot to the end of your stroke.
The beginning of your stroke should now be white and the end will be black.
Toggle open Gradient Stroke 1, next to the Colors heading press on "Edit Gradient"
A color editing box will appear (make sure the Preview box is ticked). At the top is a bar with a white square underneath at one end and a black square at the other.
Select the white box and then go down and select your red color (the white box will now go red and the gradient go from red to black).
Take your cursor under the bar where the red and black boxes are and left click - a new red box will appear - then move along a bit and left click again - another red box will appear.
With the third red box still selected go down and select your yellow color.
Now drag your yellow box carefully onto the top of the middle red box - you should now have a sharp line between the red and the yellow colours.
Watch your stroke layer (it will update) while you position the middle box and then the yellow box into the right position where the color should change.
Then repeat the process of making two more boxes, changing the color of the second, positioning and dragging them together .
This sounds more complicated than it is in practice.
Let me know if anything is unclear.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 15, 2017 at 2:57:19 pm

I like this gradient idea, but instead of trying to mess with the gradient itself, would using Colorama to colorize it (with interpolate colors turned off) make things a lot easier?

Like many things in AE though, there are several ways to do it.
If the gradient thing isn't cutting it for you, you could also put as many strokes on there as you want and use trim paths to place them.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Sander van Pelt
on Dec 18, 2017 at 1:10:58 pm

Thank you Greg.
Thanks 2 you I have what I want tot have! Your explanation was oke.

Greets

Sander

Sorry for my English grammar, but English is not my main language.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]