FORUMS: list search recent posts

A project was dramatically changed its goal - and so is the workflow... tips and thoughts?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Lewen
A project was dramatically changed its goal - and so is the workflow... tips and thoughts?
on Dec 12, 2017 at 7:36:00 am
Last Edited By Adam Lewen on Dec 12, 2017 at 7:36:49 am

Hi
I have recently work on a documentary short (about 12 minutes of "talking heads" interviews and still images on the screen)
An editor, roughly edited the videos and I added backgrounds, images, names and fine tuned the edit
It took a couple of days, we had a couple of dozen pictures that needed position tweens, a bunch of lower thirds for the interviews, etc...
It went well and everybody were happy.

Now the project went to a new direction and changed to ~60-70 minutes (!)

My hunch is that working on an export from Premiere Pro and fine tune the edit, adding hundred(s) of image comps to sildeshow around in After Effects, WONT be the right workflow...

Any thoughts?!
I Hope I am clear with my question. It's a pretty classic "Presenter on BG - > Interview (Lower third) -> Slideshow of a few images on BG -> and vice versa...
The Lower thirds and Slidshow images are a simple Template I have created in After Effects.
I am not fluent with Premiere as in After...

Return to posts index

Jarrick Harris
Re: A project was dramatically changed its goal - and so is the workflow... tips and thoughts?
on Dec 12, 2017 at 7:37:33 pm

tell him you want a ton more money to go and take more footage.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: A project was dramatically changed its goal - and so is the workflow... tips and thoughts?
on Dec 13, 2017 at 3:32:24 am

I have to agree with Jarrick. This isn't fair. You set up the project for one duration. Now it's much longer, but you're stuck with your original project setup.

There's a long respected saying in post-production: you can have it good. You can have it fast. You can have it cheap. Pick any two.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 13, 2017 at 3:51:47 pm

[Adam Lewen] "My hunch is that working on an export from Premiere Pro and fine tune the edit, adding hundred(s) of image comps to sildeshow around in After Effects, WONT be the right workflow..."

I think you're correct. Picture lock is extinct; if you want to maintain easy flexibility on timing up until the end of the project, you probably don't want the entire thing strung out as one very long comp.

Instead of a sequence-based workflow like Ae encourages, I'd encourage you to finish in Premiere and think in clips. Look at one speaker: you need that footage, then you also need a background, some images, and a title. Each of those individual elements can be made in Ae, then combined and composited in Pr. Create elements with extra head and tail so you can trim, edit, and transition them in Premiere; this will prevent a little timing change from becoming a massive headache.

There are a couple of good Ae/Pr integrations that you can look into. For titles, you might use Motion Graphics Templates [link]. For your slideshows and backgrounds, you might consider using Dynamic Link [link] to set up the shots, then the Render and Replace workflow [link] for performance and practicality.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Dec 24, 2017 at 11:54:07 am

Thanks for the inputs guys!
Jack and Dave - I agree and there was no question it is way more work. From both sides.
Walter - thank you for the Ae/Pr integration tips!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]