FORUMS: list search recent posts

Error: Mask Vertex Index Out of Range (26::205)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
constanti dinu
Error: Mask Vertex Index Out of Range (26::205)
on Dec 11, 2017 at 3:22:02 pm

hey,
i'm in the process of masking a very large map of a continent (it's about 20 000x20 000). i managed to mask about half of it, and because the computer started running slow, i continued the work with mask no 2. then, i copied the mask no 1 (which is half a continent on the shores) and mask no 2 (which is pretty small), moved them into Illustrator, joined them, and pasted back only one mask. back in After Effects.

But i get this error:Error: Mask Vertex Index Out of Range (26::205)

is there a limit on the number of vertices or something?

thanks in advance,
Constantin

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Error: Mask Vertex Index Out of Range (26::205)
on Dec 11, 2017 at 6:00:37 pm

I wouldn't use After Effects for this chore. I would use Photoshop.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

constanti dinu
on Dec 12, 2017 at 10:31:55 am

Yes, i know, i already did the map in Photoshop, but I also need it with masks in After Effects.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 12, 2017 at 3:14:25 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 12, 2017 at 5:45:23 pm

Then you can also create transparent areas on the map in Photoshop, and would not need to mask in AE.

Also -- check that the Photoshop file is RGB and not CMYK.

Also -- if you just got AE CC 2018, don't use it -- use AE CC 2017.

Also -- it would be helpful to know how much RAM you have.

And don't try to use GPU acceleration.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

constanti dinu
on Dec 12, 2017 at 6:03:22 pm

i want the shores of the continent with mask, so it can be vector, this way i wont have edged border when i zoom in, and also can add a stroke to have a beautiful borderline, and not some pixelated one.

file is RGB, i use AE CS5, 8 GB RAM, i dont use GPU acceleration. the problem is that i have googled the error, but i couldnt find it anywere. i tend to think there is a maximum number of vertices that can be used on a mask, but it's just a hunch.

Return to posts index

Atanas Atanasov
A way to fix the problem...
on Mar 23, 2018 at 5:47:46 am

Hi,

After I used AutoTrace in Adobe After Effects, my path had many vertexes (the connected points to create a path). I had a vertex on any pixel connected around my shape to create my path. So what I did is to add tolerance which made the number of vertexes less. Then the message disappeared. Then I got the problem. If I have too many vertexes, the path will not work and you will get that message. If you add more RAM or something else, that will not make it allow you use too many vertexes. Hope that will help.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: A way to fix the problem...
on Mar 23, 2018 at 3:06:05 pm

You could also make your mask in Illustrator - it is the king of vectors. Bring your image in and trace it with the pen tool. Then you can either save just the path as an AI file and import that into AE, or you can copy the path and past it into a mask that already has one keyframe.
If you autotrace you may be getting more vertexes than you can see. (especially in the fjords of Norway!)

It's been while since i've been in CS5 but I'm not sure how well that version AE handled Pshop's smart objects. You may not be getting the vector you think you are from the paths you export from Pshop. But it handled Illustrator just fine.

Return to posts index

constanti dinu
on Mar 23, 2018 at 8:22:34 pm

thank you for your answer. unfortunately, the project is now on hold, since ive got other projects to finish, but ill keep in mind.

Return to posts index

constanti dinu
on Mar 23, 2018 at 8:23:16 pm

so im not the only one with the issue. thanks for the help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]