FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE equivalent to programmatically creating new AE comps, or a template file or batch processor (more than just changing text...)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Young
AE equivalent to programmatically creating new AE comps, or a template file or batch processor (more than just changing text...)
on Dec 8, 2017 at 5:01:23 pm
Last Edited By Amy Young on Dec 8, 2017 at 5:04:21 pm

Let's say I have a folder of 25 folders of TIFs (B-Z). In AE, I have a 1) precomp of the image sequence "A" with a text layer that displays the source name 2) a comp including precomp A and another text layer that displays the source name and frame rate, etc.

I like how A looks and want to (automatically) create 25 more precomps and comps, just like A.

What is the best way to do this? Dragging a folder into AE 25 times to make a new comp seems clunky, esp. because the precomp and comp have a few text layers.

Thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE equivalent to a template file or batch processor (more than just changing text...)
on Dec 8, 2017 at 5:15:26 pm

Since you can't automate importing image sequences, no. Why? You have to choose between a single image or an image sequence when you import.

And since it appears you'll have image sequences of different frame rates, no. Why? You have to change the sequence's frame rate in the Interpret footage settings.

And since the duration of these image sequences will probably vary, no. Why? There's no way to automate the duration of a comp other than to drag a sequence onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project pane... at which point a new comp is created with the sequence's dimensions, frame rate and duration.

Fortunately, nothing that you want to do is especially difficult, nor should it take too long. If you want something REALLY clunky, you ought to try rotoscoping some time.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: AE equivalent to programmatically creating new AE comps, or a template file or batch processor (more than just changing text...)
on Dec 8, 2017 at 6:01:14 pm

you would need to write (or find) a script.... you could have a script that when ran would take whatever you have selected in the project window, it would then create a new comp for each and add the text layer that would contain the footage information.

you could select the footage in the project window and drag them to the new comp icon, choose to add each sequence to a new comp, and then create an animation preset to create the text layer with the clip information... you would need to run that preset for each comp, but source name and frame rate information can be added via an expression on the text layer (which would be a part of the text animation preset). it's not automatic, but once the preset is made, it would only take a few minutes to do all 25 of them.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Amy Young
Re: AE equivalent to programmatically creating new AE comps, or a template file or batch processor (more than just changing text...)
on Dec 8, 2017 at 6:47:51 pm

Thanks for the summary of steps.

I think I can make a Frankenscript out of:

a) Make new comp with new attributes and include selected item:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/227/24401

b) A reduced version of this souped-up smart import:
https://aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2479

what I like about this is that 1) I can enter a fps at import stage, since I can't find where to change the default 30fps to something else, and 2) I don't have to click Open each time -- the script's Open File dialog stays open.

c) Notes from Dan's Motionscript:
http://www.motionscript.com/ae-scripting/pre-comp-to-layer-dur.html

If I get it working, I will post here. I know, just doing them by hand will probably be faster than writing something, but I like scripting. :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]