FORUMS: list search recent posts

Techniques for better screen replacement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gates Bradley
Techniques for better screen replacement
on Dec 6, 2017 at 10:47:02 pm

Hello. I know there are a million forum posts about screen replacement. This one, hopefully, is a little different.

I'm wondering how to get a more realistic composite for an HDTV screen replacement. Motion tracking I know, and it looks good. Motion blur, not a problem. My issue is things always look flat – like they've been digitally pasted on the screen. When trying to figure out why, I'm guessing it's because there's no natural luminance coming from the object. For instance, a tv that's on should be casting some light on the surface in front, etc. Subtle stuff, to integrate it into the scene.

What are some techniques you guys use to create a more realistically integrated composite? I hate how flat and pasted on my stuff looks (even if it's tracked accurately, with motion blur). Thanks all!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Techniques for better screen replacement
on Dec 6, 2017 at 11:10:08 pm

Shoot the screen with the TV turned OFF. Then you can use the black screen -- with the inevitable reflections in it -- on a separate layer, using one of the blend modes and perhaps tweaking its opacity.
The result: a realistic-looking TV screen, because the screen colors aren't so intense, and there are reflections on the screen.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]