FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clone effect not applying in Comp window

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Kuzelicki
Clone effect not applying in Comp window
on Dec 6, 2017 at 4:34:06 pm

Hi,

I just 'cleaned up' unwanted artefacts on some footage with the Clone tool but it's not showing up in my Comp.

In the past, with using the Paint brush or Clone tool, I've always double-clicked a layer to open it in a Layer window, painted or cloned, and the result shows up in the Comp window.

Today, it doesn't do that. Today, I can see all my cleaned up frames in the Layer window but when I go to the Comp window they haven't applied - the old, uncleaned up frames remain. I am clueless as to why?

Anyone know why?

After years of using this program, I still get caught out by random things like this! Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Clone effect not applying in Comp window
on Dec 6, 2017 at 6:16:14 pm

Don't know your OS & AE version numbers. If it's new, it could be a bug.

If it IS new, I always advise people to hold off on downloading initial releases. Adobe is lucky to be able to find its posterior in the dark with both hands since CC hit. LOTS OF BUGS! Wait until the first big bug fix -- preferably the second big bug fix.

Unless, of course, you don't mind dealing with bugs. Then have at it to get the brand-new stuff, which is probably buggy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Dec 7, 2017 at 2:07:11 am

Thanks Dave, for your quick reply. I remember you have helped me much in the past. Appreciated. ☺

As for those bugs, yes, I've noticed some weird things off and on since CC began. Luckily, it's usually just little 'bugging' stuff. Annoying though, haha.

My particular problem may or may not be one of them. I eventually noticed that the clone keyframes weren't visible when I selected the layer, which didn't make sense because I could see the preview (result) of those keyframes in the Layer window.

I'd split the main layer to just work on the section that needed clone work - so the main layer and the 'clone' layer'. The clone layer is what didn't have the keyframes present. But... after much inspection, and clicking around, I saw the keyframes were just kinda sitting in space beneath the clone layer, not attached to it though.

That's because they were actually attached to the main layer! Even though I'd effectively created an out-point on the main layer, and then separately did the clone work from the in-point on the clone layer, that work applied 'invisibly' to the main layer.

Once I realised this, I just switched off my separated clone layer, dragged out the out-point of the main layer and I could see the results in the Comp. window.

So, I don't know if this is an Alex-error, normal AE behaviour or CC bug? I definitely selected my separate 'clone layer' to work on. And actually noticed all through the clone work that I had to reselect that layer every time I advanced to a new frame. Still, the work was applying to the main layer regardless of selecting the clone layer.

I'm not sure if that's weird or normal, haha?

Anyway, thanks for taking an interest, Dave. Glad guys like you are on this forum.

Cheers,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 7, 2017 at 4:38:30 pm

Sorry, but no help forthcoming from me, and for the same reason -- no info on hardware, OS & software. Any suggestion would be mere groping in the dark.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Dec 7, 2017 at 6:36:36 pm

Ah, you're right. I was so caught up with the problem I totally forgot to include those specs.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15- inch, Mid-2014) - 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB graphic card.

OS X Yosemite - Version 10.10.5

AE 2017 - 14. 2.1.34

So, all a bit behind the times, haha, but I've just spent 7 months on a feature and was too scared to upgrade in the middle of it. Once this particular project is done, I'll update my whole system.

Though my problem is 'solved enough' to keep working, I appreciate your help, Dave.

Cheers. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]