FORUMS: list search recent posts

Laptop for After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sonia Li
Laptop for After Effects
on Dec 3, 2017 at 4:13:01 am

Hello, I'm a recent user of AE, and have been working on a borrowed Mac Pro computer.

I'm looking to invest in my own equipment, and wanted to go for a laptop for the sake of portability. I tried the MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro - 002 model because everyone raves about how fast it is, and there is 32 GB of RAM already: http://www.microcenter.com/product/483450/GS63VR_Stealth_Pro-002_156_Gaming...

Unfortunately, not only did it preview and render at a glacial pace in After Effects, it also crashed midway while rendering. This is a brand new expensive laptop! For the price I'd like something that I can preview in full mode, and rendering a one minute clip should take no more than an hour.

I wanted to see what the seasoned After Effects professionals are using, and if you are using a laptop that works well with AE.

Thanks so much in advance!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Laptop for After Effects
on Dec 4, 2017 at 10:44:33 am

I recently got GT62VR 6RE Dominator Pro -- essentially the same specs -- for my portable solution. Works perfectly for me for rendering with Element 3D in 4K. Are you sure AE was set up to utilize the video card?
Rendering speed is highly dependent on what you are rendering: at what resolution, which effects and plugins are in use, how many source files are being read off the hard drive, etc.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Sonia Li
on Dec 4, 2017 at 12:36:05 pm

hi Kalleheikki,

Thanks for the reply. I was told to install the Nvidia driver and CUDA, which I did. I did notice that a lot if the software was not installed in CUDA and I had to run the installation twice.

How do you suggest setting up my graphics card? In AE under preferences I made sure the graphics card and CUDA were all listed and I changed AE's main driver setting to the NVidia 1070 Max-Q.

Thanks so much!!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Dec 4, 2017 at 1:22:27 pm

What is it that you're trying to do? What kind of file formats do you have in your project? What is the resolution and frame rate? What effects are you using? Are you using 3D cameras/lights/etc? What are your memory settings? Are you perhaps using some readymade template?

Also the GPU doesn't really do anything unless you're actually using features that use that.

Return to posts index

Sonia Li
on Dec 4, 2017 at 1:39:26 pm

Hi Tero, thanks for reply!

I would like to be able to use AE to fully preview my compositions and export listless in a reasonable amount of time. Right now a one minute clip takes 9 hours.

Basically I have multiple layers in AE composition, mainly keyframed still images and videos. The images are around 4K and they are put together in a way that there are a lot if them (repetition) composition size is 1920x1080. I use 3D (the little cube checked) for flipping still images but no cameras or lights. My AE allocates around 26gb for ram. No template.

Here is a short clip of the kinds of images I'm making, maybe it will help you understand what I'm trying to do: http://www.sonialidesigns.com/

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Dec 4, 2017 at 1:43:26 pm
Last Edited By Tero Ahlfors on Dec 4, 2017 at 1:45:24 pm

If you have big stills they are being computed in their original resolution even if you scale them down. If you add 3D movement and maybe motion blur on top of that it will get really heavy.

Return to posts index

Sonia Li
on Dec 4, 2017 at 1:48:54 pm

Thanks Tero. I use Echo a lot and that's probably the reason.

So there is no way I can tap into the GPU when I render lossless?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Dec 4, 2017 at 1:52:55 pm

If you don't use any effects/features that can use the GPU then everything will be done on the CPU.

Return to posts index

Sonia Li
on Dec 4, 2017 at 2:09:14 pm

I see. Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]