FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing the color of flowers in a long tracking shot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Garret Layman
Changing the color of flowers in a long tracking shot
on Nov 28, 2017 at 9:43:33 pm

I'm working on a shot and need to change the color of a lot of small white flowers to assorted colors. The shot is almost 15 seconds and has a lot of motion. There doesn't need to be a rhyme or reason to the colorizing, just random assorted colors. So far the best way I've found to do this is to track the shot with the 3D camera tracker and create nulls based on the the points that are attaching to the white flowers. To color them I've been parenting an adjustment layer (set to Darken) to the null with a mask around the flower itself and using Hue/Saturation - colorize to adjust the color. This is a pretty tedious process give the sheer number of flowers so I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this. Any help would be appreciated. A few shots from the sequence are below.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Changing the color of flowers in a long tracking shot
on Nov 28, 2017 at 10:14:04 pm

[Garret Layman] "So far the best way I've found to do this is to track the shot with the 3D camera tracker and create nulls based on the the points that are attaching to the white flowers. To color them I've been parenting an adjustment layer (set to Darken) to the null with a mask around the flower itself and using Hue/Saturation - colorize to adjust the color. This is a pretty tedious process give the sheer number of flowers...."

No kidding! Have you tried to create a matte just for the white flowers? It might be easier & faster.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Garret Layman
on Nov 28, 2017 at 10:38:23 pm

I was able to create a procedural matte to single out the flowers and change them all in color and it looks pretty good. Where I'm getting hung up though is the multiple colors aspect. The director wants an assortment of colors that vary from flower to flower while still leaving a a few white ones here and there. Given the amount of motion in the scene I can't think of a way to do this without some amount of tracking and masking. I may have to resort to groups of color or something...

Mac Pro
2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel
64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2048 MB

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 29, 2017 at 12:35:27 am

Well, don't get rid of those tracks you made earlier. You might be able to use them to move colored shapes around. Maybe make a 4-color Gradient on a solid.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Garret Layman
on Nov 30, 2017 at 4:44:00 pm

To follow up on this, I ended up using the 3d camera tracking data to apply to solids that I placed in 3d space around the scene (pre-comped and set to color transfer) and used the procedural matte as a luma matte to only apply it to the white areas of the flowers. This was much faster than my original method though I couldn't quite get the level of variety that I was initially after. That being said it still turned out well and the director is happy so I'm happy.

Thanks Dave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]