Morphing from drone shot into inside location

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Long
Morphing from drone shot into inside location
on Nov 28, 2017 at 9:06:42 pm
Last Edited By Jack Long on Nov 28, 2017 at 9:09:49 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know of a tutorial of how I could take drone footage that goes inside a business location and then morph it into another video that has been taken with DSLR inside of the business?

Thanks for your help and knowledge!!!

Jack

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Morphing from drone shot into inside location
on Nov 28, 2017 at 9:25:46 pm

That's a REALLY sketchy description of what you want to do. Please provide a lot more detail about what you intend the viewer to see.

Based on what's there now, the answer would have to be, "no way to do that".

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jack Long
on Nov 29, 2017 at 9:23:35 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I want to take footage from my drone where the video is showing an aerial view from the drone camera flying into a store front. I would like to take another video with a dslr going into the store front and doing some specific camera movements once inside. I would like to try to morph ( not sure this is the right term ) the two videos together at the doorway so it looks seamless between the two of them.

Appreciate all your help and what you guys do!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 30, 2017 at 6:48:06 pm

Thanks for the elaboration. It sounds like a cool effects shot!
So cool, in fact, that you have to ask why it hasn't been done before, right? I mean, lots of people have drones and DSLRs, so you'd be surprised that you don't ever see such a shot.

Well, maybe they gave it a little thought. Or perhaps a lot of thought. Anyway, here are some things off the top of my head to take into consideration before you commit to doing the shot:
  • The differences between the drone camera and the DSLR: They aren't the same camera. They'll have different focal lengths -- this becomes crucial as both cameras approach the door (is the door open or closed?) because the horizontal & vertical edges need to match up, but they'll curve to different degrees. They'll record colors differently. They'll respond differently to differences in brightness.
  • The differences in camera support systems: One is obvious -- it's on a drone! But what about the DSLR? How do you get it to move as smoothly as the drone? How do you match up the speed at which they both move? How do you match up their positions as they move?
  • The differences between outside and inside: Exterior light is a lot brighter than interior light. So as the drone nears the (presumably open) door, the store interior will look like it's a cave. How do you match outside brightness inside the store? Outside light is a different color than inside light, too -- it's a lot more blue, and it's a lot more yellow inside. How do you make the color of the light match?
  • Have you ever done this kind of stuff before: The Pros in Hollywood -- who can pull off this kind of deal with little fuss -- have two advantages. They either have experience doing what it takes to get the shot, or they run tests to iron out the difficulties before they shoot for real. Either way, they KNOW it's going to work before they ever shoot for real. So you have to ask yourself if you know it'll work before YOU do it for real.

You'll notice I haven't written a word about morphing. You have a lot of issues to resolve before you even get to the point of shooting.

But if you resolve them, that'll be one cool shot!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jack Long
on Dec 1, 2017 at 2:24:31 am

Thanks for the elaboration!

The doors will be open. I'll try to match the lighting as best as possible, but I'm not too concerned about exposure differences for this project. I'll also try to color correct with a vector scope as much as possible.

I can match the focal lengths on the cameras and have a gimbal for the DSLR.

I am by no means an expert with this stuff, but I do find it quite enjoyable and love to tinker with these types of projects. Unfortunately, I'm not experienced enough to know the concept I should use in after effects at this point. Do you know of any tutorials out there that maybe I could apply the concept to for this? I would also be okay with trying to splice the video together with some type of cool looking effect to where it doesn't necessarily have to be seamless.

Appreciate your time and input Dave!

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Dec 1, 2017 at 2:46:24 am

Hi Jack, you could think about having the door closed and either going through the glass or a sign (or whatever) on the door front - this old VCP tutorial might give you some ideas:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/magic_glass/

You might even consider putting a green screen behind the door and using your DSLR footage (frozen first frame perhaps) to replace it, so the transition is smoother?

Return to posts index

Jack Long
on Dec 1, 2017 at 3:52:14 am

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the response! I'll run through the tutorial to see if I can apply it to the project.

Could you explain a little bit more about using the green screen? So I would have the drone fly up to an open door and stop short of going in where there is a green screen. Then try to match the camera move as much as possible with the DSLR at the beginning walking into the shop. I would then mask the door on the drone footage, take a single frame of the door from the DSLR and use corner pin until the transition between the two different camera shots?

At the transition, would I just be trying match the frames as much as possible? I won't be able to get an exact camera move between the two cameras to match the frames exactly. You think I should try to add some type of camera shake with an effect? Is there any effect tutorial that would look cool and mask the transition? I think the tutorial mentioned in the previous post is a single camera move.

Really appreciate your help and insight!

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Dec 2, 2017 at 12:13:54 am

Yes what you are saying could be the way to go. If you transition by going through glass or a solid sign that gives you a little leeway in things not exactly matching. The principles in the tutorial with the shimmering effect could be the transition.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]