FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need a way to align photos in AE with ability add more later

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Weaver
Need a way to align photos in AE with ability add more later
on Nov 27, 2017 at 5:40:53 am

I'm shooting progression photos for a large construction project and would like to a streamlined process for aligning the photos so they can be shown in a slideshow/video. The photos will dissolve above previous photos revealing the progress. Even better would be a template of some kind like the photos are printed out and appearing over previous photos on a table or something.

Previously, I've aligned the photos in Photoshop, then imported them into Premiere & added slow zoom out to give life to the slideshow. However, I would have to do it all over again each time I want to add a new photo to the progression.

I'm hoping this can be done in After Effects or another Adobe program so that I can continue to build the slideshow as the construction project goes along.

Can anyone tell me ideas on the best way to go about this?

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: Need a way to align photos in AE with ability add more later
on Nov 27, 2017 at 2:46:14 pm

Probably other solutions out there but you might take a look at this:

https://aescripts.com/easy-slide-show/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 27, 2017 at 4:34:26 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 27, 2017 at 6:50:31 pm

A lot of these problems are negated when you plan out the shot.

You don't have to keep the camera in place for months, but you DO have to maintain a fixed, unmovable camera mount plus the identical focal length throughout the process. If you know precisely what you want to accomplish, you can even plan for a tilt or pan to accommodate the construction as it grows.

If you just eyeball it, you will have the problems you are now encountering. Interestingly, other people have done more complex time lapses that you're attempting. However, they knew in advance how they were going to do it.

Planning, planning, planning.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Weaver
on Nov 28, 2017 at 12:05:32 am

Your point is valid, but mostly inapplicable in my situation. I may not have been clear in the original post, but I'm taking aerial photos as a commercial drone pilot. This isn't a situation that warrants exact placement from shoot to shoot.

All the photos have been built into a flight software so they are taken from the same GPS coordinates each time. However, many variables like wind, compass calibration, launch point (can change at times), and margin of error means that the photos will never be in the exact same place every time.

I thought through all of this before I began the project. But to begin with, the company wanted multiple extra angles so they could choose from their favorites. It wasn't until the 3rd shoot or so that we could actually set GPS points to limit variables in future photos. That means some of the earliest photos were from different heights, slightly different angles, and even different proximity. I've learned a lot for future projects to avoid the struggles I'm facing with alignment now.

Unfortunately, there is no going back in time unless you've got another helpful idea on that. I'm looking for a solution that fits my current situation with the first 3 of 7 (so far) progress shoots being in slightly different positions. I can continue to use the method I outlined, but there has to be better ways.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 28, 2017 at 3:28:31 pm

Ugh. I'm sorry to report that there is no easier way to match up these shots than by hand.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]