FORUMS: list search recent posts

Turning something straight into a circle

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zack Culver
Turning something straight into a circle
on Nov 27, 2017 at 1:21:41 am

I swear I have seen this done before...

I need to take an existing piece of footage that is "flat" and turn it in to a circle. Not mask it out into only showing a circle of the image. I need the end points of the horizon to loop around and touch each other. So that what is straight lines in the footage will become a circle. Is this possible?

Fuller context: I have a looping animation of an old-school 80s grid coming straight towards you. Its just generic stock I didn't make it from scratch in After Effects. I need to "twist" this footage around so that the flat horizon grid becomes a tunnel. I could not find a free stock loop of a grid tunnel. If I need to make a grid from scratch in AE to make it into a tunnel I have seen those tutorials... I guess I would just need to know what the effect would be called to circularize it. Its not "circle" that just creates a vector circle... and I didn;t find any sort of "array" effect like I would think of in other types of software. I just at least need a starting point.

TL:DR - how do 3D grid tunnel?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Turning something straight into a circle
on Nov 27, 2017 at 2:37:05 am

If it HAS to wrap into a tunnel shape, read no further.

But it can already be a tunnel shape give CC Cylinder a look-see.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Zack Culver
on Nov 27, 2017 at 3:23:07 am

Tried that didn't quite give me what I wanted. I did the CC Bend It to the animation and it wasn't REALLY what I wanted but it will work in a pinch I guess.

Return to posts index

Zack Culver
on Nov 27, 2017 at 3:16:53 pm

I thought maybe a picture reference would help...

So imagine this tunnel went back and down not to the right... I need that but animated, not necessarily that you're flying through / down it, but that it is "flowing" towards you .

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on Nov 28, 2017 at 5:36:49 am

I feel like this would be a dedicated 3D program solve. To me it sounds complicated even though the result looks "simple" and clean.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Zack Culver
on Nov 28, 2017 at 4:37:42 pm

Yeah if I had 3DS Max or something I could just fart out a funnel and run a camera through it. I'm working with what I have...

The cylinder idea earlier may work. I didn't realize all the options at first that I could go inside the cylinder.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Nov 28, 2017 at 7:33:09 pm

Zack -

It looks like Transformer might help you out. Look at the paths capability:

https://aescripts.com/transformer/

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index