FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing eye color question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Ray
Changing eye color question
on Nov 24, 2017 at 12:58:10 am

Hey everyone,

I have someone who asked me to change eye color for a short clip over several characters. However, much of the footage has one eye in shadow and the ones where both eyes are visible the footage is so dark that the irises are really almost all black. I have tried changing them with exposure or even adding fractal noise, but they don't look as good as I would like.

I don't think one should try eye effects if the eyes are not well lit. I was just wondering if anyone has an tips or suggestions if you have dealt with this.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: Changing eye color question
on Nov 24, 2017 at 4:20:21 am

Well, assuming there's movement, you'll have to track the eyes somehow whether is AE's built in tracker or Mocha AE. In the shots where the iris is nearly black, would you even see a correction? If not, why bother? Black cat at midnight and all of that.

Once you get that, simply create a mask set to subtract around each iris and apply your desired color correction. I'd probably just go with Curves. I the color of the pupil is changing too much with the one mask, you need to add a second mask for just the pupil, set to Difference so just the Iris gets affected.

Return to posts index

Eric Ray
on Nov 24, 2017 at 7:16:20 am

Yeah, I can track everything. No, the eye is so black that I hardly get a change. I can bump the exposure so I can apply color but since the eye is so dark it looks terrible.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 24, 2017 at 11:42:23 am

Well if you can't see the eye then you probably don't need to change the color for that eye. If you need to see both eyes then arrange a reshoot with proper lighting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]