FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monster From The Id

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kk Akuoku
Monster From The Id
on Nov 23, 2017 at 7:10:47 pm

A couple days ago, I saw a video on YT featuring a recreation of the Id Monster scene from Forbidden planet that employed a stop motion animated monster instead of 2d animation:

What struck me most of all was the weird kodalith-y effect on the creature itself, which is something that I would kill to recreate in AE on my own. If there's anyone who can decipher the process used to make this effect, I'd highly appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Monster From The Id
on Nov 27, 2017 at 8:00:10 pm

the threshold effect will create a hi-contrast image (like kodalith). Levels or curves will work with a little more effort.

find edges can help to define just the edges, using threshold, levels, curves or even brightest/contrast can help build contrast to the find edges effect.

the footage was likley inverted (negative) too, so the invert effect would help.

to colorize, try the tint effect (tint all also invert the image if you map white to a dark color and black to a light color).

i'd also look at adding the glow effect.

and using a blending mode like lighten, screen of add will remove the black/darker pixels, leaving jus the lighter pixels.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]