FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colour picker interface changed in CC2018

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Freeman
Colour picker interface changed in CC2018
on Nov 23, 2017 at 5:26:31 pm

Hi guys,

In the new version of After Effects it seems as if the colour picker has been altered, and I can't seem to work out if it's a setting I need to alter, or if Adobe have just updated the method and there's no way of going back.

Here is the colour picker from CC2017

Notice how theres always black at the bottom and white in the top left - it's so quick and easy to choose something on the grayscale end. 1 click and drag motion. Easy.

And here it is from CC2018

You have to click on multiple parts of the picker to get to black, white and grayscale values.

This has been driving me nuts as I can normally work these kinds of things out. Anyone know how to change back to the CC2017 setup?

Cheers!
Sam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Colour picker interface changed in CC2018
on Nov 23, 2017 at 9:10:03 pm

Oh, it's just that the saturation is low. Goose it up.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sam Freeman
on Nov 24, 2017 at 11:00:27 am

Thanks Dave, but I think you've missed my point...

The interface is different, and that's what I'm confused by. In the past the central bar has had an entire colour spectrum, but now it only has a minimal hue section from where the pointer is on the left.

Thanks
Sam

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 24, 2017 at 11:10:47 am

If you have one of the HSB values activated (the dot next to the parameter is selected) you have a hue bar. If you have one of the RGB values activated you have a brightness bar. This can be seen in your screenshots and this is how it works in CC 2018.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 24, 2017 at 3:56:39 pm

A picture to illustrate Tero's point:

The color picker can work with HSB or RGB color models. These are three-dimensional models, so they're a little tricky to represent in 2D. The bar in the color picker follows your selection, and the rectangle shows possible values given the selection represented by the bar.

When you select Hue (as in the first picture), the bar shows the range of possible hues, and the rectangular area plots saturation against brightness for that specific hue value.

When you select Red (as in the second picture), the bar shows the possible range of reds, and the rectangular area plots green against blue for that specific red value.

This is not a change from CC 2017 to CC 2018; it's just that you're looking at a different color model and primary selection.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Sam Freeman
on Nov 25, 2017 at 12:17:50 pm

Jeez - Thanks guys! I thought I was going crazy.

I can't believe that after 14 years of using AFX there are still little (super simple) things like this that can drive me nuts. It's why I love AFX too though. :0)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]