FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing text layer contents frame-by-frame

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Simmonds
Changing text layer contents frame-by-frame
on Nov 18, 2017 at 8:01:24 am
Last Edited By Ricky Simmonds on Nov 18, 2017 at 8:19:23 am

Firstly, although I've used After Effects rather a lot, it has been for one-off projects and I only use it when I need to, therefore my technical knowledge and after effects vocabulary aren't great. I always try to work out how to do things myself but I'm just completely stuck on this.

I have an animation that represents, layer by layer, the rise in global population from the year 1712 to present day. TO accompany that animation I would like a counter that displays the year and the population value, changing year-by-year, frame-by-frame over 304 frames. I have the values as lists in Excel, the text separated by line returns.

I could use the slider control to alter the year value, but the population value does not increase in a linear fashion and therefore needs to precisely follow the values in the Excel list.

I thought I'd found a solution in the DecomposeText script but it took over an hour to run and left me with 100s of Frames, making the project very difficult and slow to work with. As I need to do this for at least 5 similar animations, it's not really feasible.

Excuse my extremely wordy first-ever post, any help is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Changing text layer contents frame-by-frame
on Nov 19, 2017 at 12:59:21 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 19, 2017 at 1:04:56 am

First thing, I would check out how changing text every frame looks. Personally, I think it would be waaaaay too fast. I'm thinkin' making the change once every 3 or 4 frames would still look plenty fast.

Then, I'd use 3 layers: one for the text, one for the year, and one for the population. The Numbers effect will be your friend.

It would also be cool to add an animated line graph to demonstrate the huge rise in recent decades.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]