I created a null for the group from E3D. I copy position, orientation of that null and paste it into the regular 3d layer. I scale that layer align it perfectly but when I pan I end up with unwanted parallax .
At the start of the pan the 3D layer and E3D object aligns perfectly but at the end of the pan the 3D layer is behind and not aligned anymore.
I figured it out in the end for anyone else running into this problem I did the following:
1. E3D effect I used Utilities / Generate 3D Position
2. I used the select 2D Position than click Create 3D Null
3. I than trim the separate 3D layer pre comp region of interest so the boundaries of the pre comp = the edges of the layer
4. I moved the anchor point of the precomp to the top left
5. Copy the 3D position of the Element 3d position, turned the pre comp to 3D and paste the position. I thank scaled the precomp down and is now perfect