FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for an alternative way to add texture to vector line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Covalt
Looking for an alternative way to add texture to vector line
on Nov 14, 2017 at 9:48:55 pm

I'm working on a 2D drawn animation that's being composited in After Effects. The source artwork is made up of black vector lines, and the client prefers the line to look more like a pencil line with some bumpy texture, instead of the perfect clean vector line.
We've been accomplishing this by adding a Turbulent Displace effect to the animation. It does a good job at adding some wavy, bumpy texture to the black line and looks good for the most part.

The problem I'm running into is when we have the characters zoom towards the camera, the lines "boil" and it looks really distracting.
The zooms are done in the animation stage, so this isn't a camera push in After Effects, or scale or anything; the source layer is left alone in AE.

We've got a scene where the character starts wide and the comes closer to camera, and eventually past the camera. Once the character starts moving, the lines "dance" and buzz, and it won't pass.

I can't figure out a way to achieve this "bump" look on the line without the Turbulent Displace effect, but it's also that effect that is causing this buzzing problem so I don't think I can use it.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Brian Covalt
Re: Looking for an alternative way to add texture to vector line
on Nov 14, 2017 at 9:52:39 pm

Here's the character before the effect is applied:

And here's the character with the effect applied:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Looking for an alternative way to add texture to vector line
on Nov 15, 2017 at 3:18:36 am

Try the Roughen Edges effect.