FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE Cache and SSD drives

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Smith
AE Cache and SSD drives
on Nov 12, 2017 at 10:00:45 am

Hello guys,

I've updated my workstation from a 2010 mac Pro to a brand new Imac, and I was wondering what is the optimized setup for your footage, renders, media cache and disk cache?

Right now (with the mac pro) here is my setup: AE in installed on my OS SSD (my conformity media cache is there as well), my footage is on a separate internal HDD (the same where I render), and my disk cache is on an other separate internal SSD (Sonnet card).

Is this the fastest way to work?

Thank you for your help :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE Cache and SSD drives
on Nov 13, 2017 at 3:34:33 am

Your setup is good. An SSD is great for caches.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erick Wright
on Nov 14, 2017 at 6:16:00 am

What Dave said.

Your best set up would be:

Operating System on one Solid State Drive, After Effects being on that is perfectly fine and won't affect performance
A Cache on a separate Solid State Drive
Your final renders on a 3rd and final.

Generally though having it all on one SSD (if that's all you have) is better than having all 3 on 3 different HDDs.

I'd also recommend if possible having the footage on an SSD, and as you render rendering to an SSD and then later moving it to a HDD (because of course most people won't really have the space in a typically-sized SSD)

If you have a few TBs of SSD, then more power to you.

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Nov 14, 2017 at 1:36:28 pm

Thank you Erick and Dave for taking the time to answer me. I don't have an SSD for rendering only, would it be better for me to render on my IMAC SSD (only OS and Creative clouds applications on it) , or to my media drive where is all my footage (Thunderbolt 3 JBOD 2Big Lacie) or to my SSD used for disk cache? (I think this one is not a good idea)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]