FORUMS: list search recent posts

Twixtor and motion vectors from 3D files advice?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Paciej
Twixtor and motion vectors from 3D files advice?
on Nov 8, 2017 at 12:25:06 pm

Does anyone have any experience with using motion vector passes from 3D software to accurately add new twixtor generated frames to 3D software? I'm getting wildly unpredictable results with the motion vector in/out plugin and I'm pretty sure I'm not using it right. Happy to learn it myself if someone can point me in the right direction of a tutorial.

I have already tried the google. Can't seem to isolate specifically what I am after.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Twixtor and motion vectors from 3D files advice?
on Nov 8, 2017 at 12:52:04 pm

Theres a pretty extensive explanation in revisionfx's site. But you should start with telling us which software are you exporting/rendering from. Or at least whats wrong with your results. Is it incorrect deformations? alpha edges defects?

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Stuart Paciej
on Nov 9, 2017 at 12:02:31 pm

Thanks for your response,
I am using After Effects, with 16bit png's coming out of Cinema 4D with Octane render. I am getting incorrect deformations and displacements, there are multiple objects parallaxing and in some cases the camera is pulling back so new edges are being added to the scene, however in a lot of cases twixtor is getting close.

The documentation is certainly extensive, and therein lies the problem! If you know of a section that deals with motion vectors and 3D passes I would love to zero in on it.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Nov 9, 2017 at 12:19:43 pm

Well, I'm not sure what pixel depth revision FX's plugins use. So if you're using 16bpc, make sure the pass is using the correct output(it may be 8bpc). From my experience you have to make sure you have alpha where alpha is due. (meaning alpha should be black with alpha and not the stationary color value, this may solve any edge issues).

If you're having incorrect deformations make sure the vectors are coming out correct from octane, You may be having inverted Y or something.

But just to throw it around... can't you slow it down in C4D and avoid this all together? Or are your frames taking too long to render? Cause Time tracks are awesome in C4d.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Stuart Paciej
on Nov 9, 2017 at 4:28:52 pm

Thanks again,

It looks like I'll have to render the other frames. Its as you thought - they take a very very long time to render so a shortcut would have been sweet. Overly optimistic too perhaps.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Nov 10, 2017 at 6:44:48 pm

stuart

you can also follow-up with techsupport @ revisionfx dot com

you need an alpha channel to be inserted in the MV, make sure you are 16 or 32b, make sure the actual values are not converted on load (in interp footage turn off in advanced tab)...

Pierre

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Nov 9, 2017 at 12:23:41 pm

And just to make sure we're on the same page, It WILL NEVER be perfect. Twixtor has no object data nor camera info to make its math. It just pushes pixels, and it has a limitation to understand which pixel went where EVEN with a vector map to assist in the creating of its vectors.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Nov 9, 2017 at 10:08:06 pm

Not sure if this will help but might give you some ideas for use with your 3D software.

There were a couple of threads on this semi recently on the Newtek's Lightwave forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]