FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with MTS files & Clone Stamp tool

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerrett Wilson
Working with MTS files & Clone Stamp tool
on Nov 6, 2017 at 11:42:59 pm

I'm working on a project where I'm needing to cover a wall mounted AC unit. I successfully covered it with the clone stamp tool, but the render is taking a seemingly long time for the length of the video. The source footage is an MTS file and I've broken up the clip so it's not all one long file. Even trying to playback in AE the footage won't play even with the resolution turned down. I imported the footage over Adobe Dynamic Link from premiere but even tried doing a direct import but that hasn't changed the render time much. The final video is only 22 seconds long but is taking around 4 hours to export. I'm trying to determine if its a setting/codec issue or if it just slows my machine that much. I understand it's an intensive process but I thought my machine would be powerful enough to handle it. I'm working with the Adobe CC 2018.

Here are my computer specs:
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Working with MTS files & Clone Stamp tool
on Nov 7, 2017 at 12:18:44 am

Rather than use the Clone Stamp tool, can you get away with duplicating the layer, masking off a clean area of wall & re-positioning it?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jerrett Wilson
on Nov 7, 2017 at 2:09:54 am

Unfortunately I don't think I would be able to make that work. I tried layering over with a matching solid but it stood out too much and I wasn't able to get it to blend well. Here's an image of what I am working with:

I also realized I looked at the wrong timecode originally and it is closer to a 2 minute video so maybe the export time is more appropriate? I also had converted the MTS to a ProRes file but that didn't seem to make much difference.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 7, 2017 at 4:03:48 pm

Yes. Deal with the 4 hours, and remember the lesson learned:

It's always better to take the time BEFORE you shoot to make sure the shot's acceptable to everyone than it is to fix it in post. A corollary: have a proven plan for fixing a shot in post before you get the shot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jerrett Wilson
on Nov 7, 2017 at 8:39:01 pm

Ok, that's what I was thinking I was going to have to do. Thank you for your help! I'm looking at potentially upgrading my internal drive to an SSD, would that help speed up the time on rendering for this? I've been looking for an excuse to do the upgrade and I think this might be it!

Jerrett Wilson
Austin, TX
Premiere / After Effects / Audition

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]