FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is my student pc strong enough?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Khang Tuan Nguyen
Is my student pc strong enough?
on Nov 5, 2017 at 12:48:58 am

What do I need the PC for?
I’m using After Effects, Premiere Pro and Photoshop very intensively since 2 years. I started alone while studying at an art university and by now I put like 10-20 effects on one layer affecting color/distortion/shapes/blur/compositing and my computer can’t afford enough performance to show anything fluently.

My current system is this one:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 4x 3.20 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 2GB
Hard Drive: 3TB Seagate 7200rpm

I want to buy a new one with a budget of 1800€. My total budget is 2000€ but I would like to buy some Plug-ins from RedGiant or VideoCopilot with the rest of 200€ and take some first steps into them although my mainly used programs will be AE, PP and PS.
The new system could be the following one:
CPU: Intel Core i7 7800x 6x3,5GHz (Boost 4GHz)
Mainboard: ASUS Prime X299-A
RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-2133 (maybe better up to 64GB?)
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX1060 GamingX 6G
HDD: 2 TB (Project files)
SSD 1: 256 GB (OS/Programs)
SSD 2: 256 GB (Cache)
+ some other stuff
____
1600-1700€

Do you have any suggestions?
I do not know exactly if AE uses much of the GPU because I’ve read on the Adobe site that only 15 effects are supported with GPU rendering. Maybe I could swap it with a worse one and concentrate on more RAM? And what about the SSD? How to split for most efficient workflow?
Many people say you need three SSDs:
1. OS and Adobe programs, 2. Files, 3. Cache
A cheaper solution may be to install OS+Programs in SSD1, Cache on SSD 2 and Files+Stuff on a HDD?
Also I don't know if AMDs Ryzen wouldn't be the better option to choose. Some editors told me that Adobe is much more comfortable with Intel. What is your experience?

Best regards!

Return to posts index

Jarrick Harris
Re: Is my student pc strong enough?
on Nov 7, 2017 at 3:18:11 pm

well, as no one else answered, I may as well tell you that, apart from your graphics card (mine's a gtx 970), your current set up is better than mine and I'm doing fine with what I've got. So I expect that your new rig will be more than fine.

The only thing I would suggest, is that if you have any inclination to play games on your new system, I'd get a bigger SSD for your programs as 256 gig will be swallowed up if you load something like Doom 2016 onto it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]