FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cleaner Way of importing premier sequences

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Benson
Cleaner Way of importing premier sequences
on Oct 31, 2017 at 11:00:43 pm

Hello there! First time poster.

I've been looking for a while and haven't had any luck in finding a way to import adobe premier pro sequences into after effects without having to import a whole adobe premier project a second time.

Right now my workflow goes edit the video sequencing in adobe premier, go to after effects, import a premier pro project open the sequence and presto theres everything and it works great.

The problem is, if i go back to premier and I make a new sequence, and then i want to bring that sequence to after effects but still in the same project, then just to get that premier sequence I have to import the whole premier project a second time. Then it re-imports all the footage and graphics and such into the after effects project a second time. With all the video linking to the second instance of importing the project.

Even if I just "select a sequence to import" when importing to AE, it still ends up re importing all the video clips again, just without the folder they would have been in had I imported the project again.

This gets very cumbersome when editing series pieces over a week at a time having 5 copies of the same premier project in AE to load up.

Is there an easier way to do this? I mean when I'm in premier, if i import another premier project into another, and the video clips are all the same, i can choose to import just one sequence, and it automatically links all the video to whats in my current bin as long as the clip names match.

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Cleaner Way of importing premier sequences
on Nov 1, 2017 at 6:25:51 pm

File > Adobe Dynamic Link > Import Premiere Pro Sequence > Navigate to the PP project > select the sequence.

If it doesn't work, blow off CC 2018 and install CC 2017. The myriad bugs in the newest release just aren't worth the grief in my book.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Benson
on Nov 1, 2017 at 10:18:11 pm

Thank you for your response Dave!

I gave that a go, and it did import the sequence I was testing with, however when importing with dynamic link, it brings the sequence in as what appears to be a single video clip. I was hoping for a way to import a premier sequence as it does when you import an entire project and the sequences come in as layered compositions that you can still trim and stretch the clips for. I'm just trying to find a way to do it without having to re-import all the video clips again and make projects take longer to load/messier.

I put a screenshot of it here :

11835_dynamiclink2.jpg.zip

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 1, 2017 at 11:53:43 pm

There are two ways to get PP stuff into AE -- the way you've been doing it, and the way I've described. Might I suggest that you consider each of the PP timelines you want as a separate AE project? It may help.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daniel Benson
on Nov 2, 2017 at 12:38:51 am

Okay, Thank You Dave.

I've done it by that method to before where you just do a different AE project for each pp sequence you'd want to do. I was just hoping their might have been an easier way for when we're doing week long series pieces where a lot of the footage comes from the same sources and you might just want to copy paste some graphic elements out of the previous days stuff, that way we could have just had 1 project per series.

Thanks again.

-Daniel

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 2, 2017 at 3:57:52 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 2, 2017 at 4:33:31 pm

I see a TV studio in your shot -- the key wall is a dead giveaway, as are robot cameras -- plus Week 1 & Week 2 stuff in the project pane. Not to mention that it's November. You wouldn't happen to be working on sweeps spots, would you? Lots of lengths & tags & such?

I happen to be working on sweeps spots at the moment, too. Here's what I do:

In PP I get the audio to length including tags, add the video -- cuts only about 90% of the time -- scrutinize the timeline for errors, then mute tracks in PP to export audio as separate audio versions of the same length spot.

In AE I import the audio files and the appropriate-length timeline. I add the supers to just ONE spot -- it's easy to find the cut points in AE. It's also easy to match super dissolves in & out to dissolves in the video. Don't forget to turn off the audio on the video track -- it comes across no matter what you do.

Then it's an easy task to duplicate the finished comp, alter the day / time supers & replace the audio track. Add the comps to the Render Queue or queue 'em up in AME and it's off to the races to complete a few versions of the same length.

Sweeps spots are one of the rare times I render audio out of AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daniel Benson
on Nov 2, 2017 at 10:50:44 pm

I am - as I imagine many of us are!

I'll give your workflow a try, I've done some similar before to it and it worked pretty well!

-Daniel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]