FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pasting After Effects Precomp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Naples
Pasting After Effects Precomp
on Oct 31, 2017 at 8:29:57 pm

I tried this SIMPLE task once and it worked but cannot make it work again and its really frustrating. Im using the same template for different locations of the same restaurant. I just want to paste a precomp with recent changes into a different project (same template, different restaurant location) but every time I paste now it automatically changes it to match the precomp already in the template! Is this another stupid glitch? Or something simple that I can easily fix if I weren't so ignorant?

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Pasting After Effects Precomp
on Oct 31, 2017 at 11:06:02 pm

different project? or different composition? in Ae a precomp has a source. when you duplicate a precomp in the timeline, you are creating copies of the source in the timeline. if you want to make a unique copy, you would need to create a duplicate of the source too

the method is this:
1. duplicate the precomp in the timeline
2. right click on the duplicated precomp you want to create a unique copy of and choose "reveal layer source in project"
3. duplicate the precomp in the project window
4. replace the duplicate in the project window with the duplicate in the timeline by highlighting both and hitting "Ctrl+Alt+/"

now you have a unique copy. you can change it and it won't affect another precomp. it's unique!

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

Brett Naples
on Nov 1, 2017 at 1:36:09 pm

My apologies for describing it badly, Im no beginner in after effects. I have a dinner w Santa Ad Template that Im using at multiple locations (different phone#s and such) with a few changes in text that are universal. So instead of typing these text changes I just want to copy the two precomps that I changed the text in and paste them into the template for each restaurant. However when I do this it auto populates the comps with the same text that is already in the project. I even changed the names and duplicated the source comp before copying

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Nov 3, 2017 at 11:19:07 pm

it's really hard to tell without seeing the projects. templates are good if you don't need to change much. if you do - you need to get inside the belly of the beast and figure out the logic of the structure. are there shy layers? expressions? are you sure you made a unique copy of the precomp?

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

Brett Naples
on Nov 6, 2017 at 4:56:38 pm

Yes Templates are pretty great when not changing much but Im pretty familiar with the way they are put together and can break them down pretty easily. I actually ended up doing it manually but I still wanna figure this out. I totally understand the difficulty of picturing what the hell Im talking about but im not at work so I cant screenshot.

There are no shy layers or expressions in what I need to do and Im positive I made unique copies. Its a simple Christmas Ad I used for 10 locations of the same restaurant. I changed the logo size and position in one precomp and in another precomp the text is changed. So I just wanted to copy and paste these two precomps into the other templates made for the other locations instead of changing the text, resizing and moving the logo 10 times. But when I paste them into a different template (tried for multiple) it changes the precomps to match the ones already there! Even changing the name of the pasted precomp! Its so aggravating because Im pretty sure its something super simple I just have to switch off before I paste.

If you still dont understand I will be happy to explain further and even screen shot when I go to work later this week

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]